Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,552 Posts
well, it would be a replate rather that a relacquer since nickel is a metal and not a spray paint :bluewink:

Yes , Selmer did offer the nickel plate option

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Opps (red face) ... of course you are right Milandro. The question then is ... any indication that this is a replate or original from the factory ? Or is this too hard to tell ?

W.

·
39,552 Posts
I think this is original

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
The only nickel I've seen on a selmer was a European MkVI, and there only the keys were nickel plated.

·
39,552 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,530 Posts
I've seen a very early MKVI 55 XXX thats nickle plated, it was actually very nice as I dont really like nickle at all......

·
3,232 Posts
The only nickel I've seen on a selmer was a European MkVI, and there only the keys were nickel plated.
Was this a Selmer option? I know a guy with one of these and he knows it was done later. (He actually reckons it's chrome plated.)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
The gentleman who owned the horn was the original owner, and he said it came that way.

·
39,552 Posts
it was an original option mostly used in Europe where nickel plate was very common . You can tell you friend that it is most definitely not chrome plating. Nickel is very durable and makes the horn impervious to wear and scratches the only draw back id undenting any dents because it could , and more often than not does, crack when pushed.

http://usahorn.com/used/Selmer-Paris/1175/Mark-VI-Tenor-Saxophone-Nickel-2117XX.html

·
3,232 Posts
I've seen a Selmer entirely nickel plated. My friends one was not done by Selmer. We know that for sure. It does look like chrome. But it may be a bright nickel.

·
39,552 Posts
yes indeed , as I said before :bluewink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts