Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a V16 and I'm extremely pleased with it. But I'm still using the stock ligature that I got with my Jupiter 869SG alto and I think it's time to upgrade. I'd like something for concert season that produces a nice dark, mellow tone like a Rovner. And something for marching season that allows nice projection (that the V16 already offers) across the field and through the stands. Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
Vandoren Optimum?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I use the Rovner darks and really like them.

·
Registered
565 Posts
The vandoren optimum lig is the best for that piece, IMHO.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah a Vandoren Optimum is worth looking at. Definitely go for it if you're willing to spend more than $50. Rovners will definitely assist you in finding that "nice dark, mellow" tone but aren't superb for projection or altissimo. Rovner's are also easy to put on and don't slide off when pressured.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I like the FL ultimum lig. Gives the reed a nice responce. But for marching I don't know if a FL will be good. Especially if you use it like Emanuele Cisi ;-)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hours of practice.
This is the best advice offered so far, IMHO. I just bought a V16 for tenor and can see no discernible difference in sound from ligature to ligature. I tried the Optimum on it when I was in the store...really nicely made ligature but I couldn't justify the money. So I'm using the stock lig that came with my Yamaha and it works just fine.

This presumes, of course, that you are playing a reed who's table is flat and seals well with the mouthpiece. If you have a reed that isn't flat, or a mouthpiece with a bad table, then you may see some ligatures working better than others on certain reeds because they will form the reed to the mouthpiece table better. (See Pete Thomas' presentation on ligatures...very interesting...I think it was him anyway).

If your stock ligature holds the reed firmly in place and allows you to tune the horn without having the reed and ligature slip off, then practice your heart out. You'll get better results with that than spending your time and money on ligatures. Again, just my opinion.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you want something that gives you the tone that you think the Rovner gives, why don't you get a Rovner? Dude They're like 15 bucks.

Either way, when I used to march, when I wanted to project across the field into the stands, I'd mostly just play loud as hell.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,588 Posts
High Schoolers.....

If your current set up works... KEEP IT!

Concert band 'mellow' - Open your throat, refine your embouchure, and focus on producing a 'mellow' sound.
Marching band - go down a half in reed strength and BLOW.
You can do anything and everything you want with only 1 mouthpiece and ligature if you take the time to REALLY work on producing the 'sound' you are looking for.

After over 30 years of playing I use the same mouthpiece and lig for everything. The only thing that I might change is the reed.
Classical, concert band literature, swing.... Doesn't matter if it's on alto, tenor, bari, or clarinet. One set up for each.
It's all in what you do with your face kid....

·
Registered
511 Posts
High Schoolers.....

If your current set up works... KEEP IT!

Concert band 'mellow' - Open your throat, refine your embouchure, and focus on producing a 'mellow' sound.
Marching band - go down a half in reed strength and BLOW.
You can do anything and everything you want with only 1 mouthpiece and ligature if you take the time to REALLY work on producing the 'sound' you are looking for.

After over 30 years of playing I use the same mouthpiece and lig for everything. The only thing that I might change is the reed.
Classical, concert band literature, swing.... Doesn't matter if it's on alto, tenor, bari, or clarinet. One set up for each.
It's all in what you do with your face kid....
Thats it. Ive never found a ligature makes any difference at all in sound.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
I like the FL ultimum lig. Gives the reed a nice responce. But for marching I don't know if a FL will be good. Especially if you use it like Emanuele Cisi ;-)

That's actually a fortissimo tension ring

·
Registered
511 Posts
Then you have not tried very many......:evil:
Ive tried plenty. And this is a hotly debated topic, as you know. I just cant hear or feel a difference in a properly functioning lig that cost 10 buck and a vandoren optima or whatever that cost way more. But Ive never tried a Rovner or the like. It seems counter-intuitive to use a lig that would hinder vibration. So Im sure there are ligs that will make me sound worse, possibly. But I just dont think there are ones that will make me sound better than say--a rico h. Perhaps I should try a rovner on that jumbo you sold me. Maybe that wil help me reign in that wild beast, :)

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
A 1" automotive hose clamp works best. Pain in the patoot to use, but easier than a string tie.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The reed vibration thing is truly a bunch of bunk IMHO. Watch Jody Espina's demo videos on youtube. Often times he'll hold the reed on the mouthpiece with his right hand THUMB, blow a few notes with his left hand stack notes (usually a great lick to boot) and he sounds great. Now if the fatty part of one's thumb doesn't dampen vibrations enough to have an adverse affect on his sound, a rovner or any other ligature for that matter won't have an adverse affect either. If you want to pay $75 or $100 or even more in some instances on a ligature, and you truly feel that it makes a difference for you, then by all means have at it. But I'd love to hear the before and after recordings once you do (same reed and mouthpiece of course) because I'm sure most of us on the other end of your horn will not be able to hear the difference.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts