Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To those who say there's no such thing as a stupid question, I plan to test that assumption. I recently purchased an older Gretsch Commander alto, which I "think" is a Buescher stencil. My question is what key plays the lowest B flat. On my Cannonball (top pic) the key to the left plays B flat. On the Gretsch (bottom pic) that key is tied into the top key and not on my Cannonball. On the Cannonball the top key is B and it is separate from the B flat. If this makes sense to anyone, please explain it to me. :) Thanking you in advance for any help.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,882 Posts
The same key, ie the one at the bottom.

It's not tied in to a different top key, it just goes round the side and up, giving you another option.

You can move your pinky either down to the bottom or across to the side. Quite nice design IMO. I'm used to modern tables, but on the Buescher I tend to use the LH pinky at the side.

It's the same with Conns and other vintage instruments.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response Pete. Much appreciated. Maybe I've got this ack bassward but in my mind, looking at the pic from top to bottom on the Cannonball, top is B, left is B flat and bottom is C sharp. Have I got that discombobulated? I'm saying top as the top of the pic.

·
Registered
306 Posts
On your Cannonball picture
Left is Bb
Top is B
Bottom is C#

On your Gretsch picture:
Left and top is Bb
Middle is B
Bottom is C#

So as Pete says, the only difference is that the Gretsch Bb key continues all round the edge of the B key.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,882 Posts
Thanks for the response Pete. Much appreciated. Maybe I've got this ack bassward but in my mind, looking at the pic from top to bottom on the Cannonball, top is B, left is B flat and bottom is C sharp. Have I got that discombobulated? I'm saying top as the top of the pic.
It's confusing because you image is sideways, I can't think of it like that.

You really need to think about it as it is on the saxophone when playing. It does my head in a bit looking at it sideways.

View attachment 223554

View attachment 223556

As you can see the Bb on the Buescher is in the same place (underneath) but also extends round the side.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much Pete and nigeld. You have managed to penetrate the last few inches of concrete and the light bulb flickered on. Thank you Thank you Thank you It does make sense to refer to the keys as they are played on the sax.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,956 Posts
It's confusing because you image is sideways.
But......

IS it ?.......:|.....

....is it REALLY ?

Or perhaps.....:whistle:......

just perhaps...

....is it US who are really sideways ?

(...simply having been conditioned by THEM to believe we are......
...upright (?) )

:?:......

......:silent:.....

...................:fftheai:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,956 Posts
Ya' see....

.... I think it's amazing how them drums and piano don't just slide and crash to the bottom...'speshully since the piano is on wheels !!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
I always just mash the buttons and look for which one closes the biggest hole.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,404 Posts
How'd you like to be at the piano and have a GD drum set in your face? That's bizarre!

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
How'd you like to be at the piano and have a GD drum set in your face? That's bizarre!
Yep, that's an unhappy place to be. I wonder if his ears were ringing at the end of the set.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The same key, ie the one at the bottom.

It's not tied in to a different top key, it just goes round the side and up, giving you another option.

You can move your pinky either down to the bottom or across to the side. Quite nice design IMO. I'm used to modern tables, but on the Buescher I tend to use the LH pinky at the side.

It's the same with Conns and other vintage instruments.
I actually find it easier to get from C# to Bb on the Buescher table than the "modern" one, since if the spring tensions are set right you can just slide right across the B key (my mind was blown the day I discovered that). I was never able to get the table on my Mark VI angled right to make the transition from C# to Bb comfortable; my pinky would always get caught on the roller. Going across rather than down is also a more natural movement, too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,354 Posts
The easiest modern horn to go from low Bb to C# is the yanigasawa's. By a long shot. That little plastic brace in the middle of the keys is magical.

Even on the modern selmers and yamaha's with the pinky table rocking system I still have troubles. My 61 yamaha does not actually have that brace and I find it easier than the modern horns that have it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts