Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to try a new reed.
I am using Rico Royal 2.0

anyone tell me the same strengh in some different reeds. I know they are all different.

How about Alexander Superials? I hear they are a little harder. should I try 1.5?

What is equevelant to rico royal 2.0 is the question.

thanks.
you guys rock!

Dave:hal:

·
Registered
46 Posts
MMM, good fun, i playing with different reeds

Hiya, theres plenty of good comparison charts on the web, shouldnt be too hard to dig up one.

As to what to use...try them all until you find one that suits your style. Personally, i started on Ricos. Found that Vandorens are great for ripping *** (they have great response and really speak well). But if you looking for something darker Eg classical work try Alexander superial classique or DC's. They're a bit difficult to find sometimes, I get mine from Robertos in NYC.

But do keep experimenting....everybody has different tastes...

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
Vandorens in a 2 or 1.5 might be good. I heard La Voz is the best for all around playing---I use them both in harder sizes.s

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Dave: Reeds are notoriously inconsistent. Most require some adjustments and proper break-in before they come in to playing shape . . . meaning that if you take most reeds out of a box(es), you may be disappointed in their response and tone. Prep them correctly and shave them down a bit with a sharp knife and you'll see better results.

I agree that you must search out which brand you like among many of them (and many are made by the same company regardless of the brand name on the box) and reach your own conclusions. I use Vandoren Java and Alexander Superials, but almost all of those need some shaving. DAVE

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
I used to play Alexander Specifically. Only reed I would play. They all come out of the box in great condition. Follow in the instructions, and they will be great reeds. As a rule I belive you drop down I think 1 reed size or 1/2 reed size from vandoren. Can't remember.

Great Reeds though. Cost I think the same as Vandorens. Plus they have a catchy little box.... Sorry.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Oh yeah

The Alexanders come in a great tin that after doubles as a cheap cigarette case for those who smoke.....Not us of course, we're sax players :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
martinc said:
The Alexanders come in a great tin that after doubles as a cheap cigarette case for those who smoke.....Not us of course, we're sax players :)
Anyone found any other good uses for that tin? I use the Superials exclusively ever since Dave Guardalas became unavailable. Used to play Javas some also and all the others at one time or another.

Beginners should pick one horn, one mouthpiece, and Rico 1 1/2 s and practice for 3 years. ( Not what they want to hear!!)

·
Registered
74 Posts
rico reeds wear out fast and are a waste of cash. i would recomend hemke or vandoren blue box reeds. they have longer playing times and are better made. also you might want to consider moving up in your reed strength because beginning players usually start on 2 1/2 strength reeds. and harder reed will clear up graininess in tone.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Do try Rico Jazz Selects 2M as they are fantastic, and last much longer than the Rico Royals, with greater consistency too. I have also used Alexander Superial DC's which are comparable. Not a personal fan of Vandoren or Marca, but Jazz Selects are awesome IMHO.

Kind regards
Bertie

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm a beginner (2 yrs playing soprano) and started with Ricos (2 & 2.5), quickly discovered they were too flimsy and didn't last. Bought some Vandoren standards (2 - 3) because it was all the locals had in stock, and man what a difference!! Played these for over a year, now my instructor has me way up in the high register so I switched to the V16 model (3). Don't have much experience to draw from, but I'm sold on the Vandoren for great sound and reliability.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
You could try Francois Louis' Excellence Reeds. They're made pretty well, very stable in all registers. Or there's always Roberto of Roberto's Woodwinds and his signature reeds are basically the exact same as Francois and Rigotti. They all use the SAME cane, but they're pretty good. Personally, when I don't use Alexanders I get some Gold Rigotti reeds that have been aged a little (something my private instructor shows/helps me to do). They're rich, full bodied sounding reeds.

·
Registered
68 Posts
rico reeds wear out fast and are a waste of cash. i would recomend hemke or vandoren blue box reeds. they have longer playing times and are better made. also you might want to consider moving up in your reed strength because beginning players usually start on 2 1/2 strength reeds. and harder reed will clear up graininess in tone.
Aren't Hemke made by rico? They have the rico case and are on the rico website.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist TSGT(Ret)USAF
1,390 Posts
Java's are consistent and sound great. I won't play anything else.
It's got to be better than Java, and I haven't found any yet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts