Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all

right now im playing on a rented chainese sax and i dont have any info about the mpc that came with it. in the next few monthes im going to get a new yani that will come with a nice mpc as i understand but pretty close (#5).
im looking for an open mpc that wont be to hard to blow into (im quite a bigginer) and that will offer me abit more jazzier sound (compared to the yani #5??) my budget is 70-80$

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I would say...wait till you get the Yani and the mouthpiece and then explain what you don't like about it. You never know the Yani might be fine :) Though if your a beginner I would stick with that for awhile...

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Selmer C*-D with your Chinese sax would be one reasonable suggestion. Find a shop and try some different "beginner mouthpieces" (if possible). Don't worry too much about a "jazzy sound" - concentrate on consistency of sound and tuning at this stage IMHO. All the best.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, guess ill have to wait till ill get the new yani.
what im trying to get is a 'set' of a more classic sound mouthpiece and another one with jazzy sound.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If your wanting a rather jazzy sound with a easy blow, try some metals, some of them have a extremly buzzy sound evenwhen fairly closed (.45-.6)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am not sure what tip opening to get for a 2nd tenor mpc

I have a question about getting a brighter, jazzier mouthpiece for my tenor (a YTS 575 AL). I have been using a Selmer C* on S|A|T for the past year or so in which I have returned to playing saxophone (on soprano, alto, and only recently tenor). My teacher, among others, recommended the C*, and it was a great improvement over the cheap mouthpieces which I had used previously and came with the Sop & Alto, both of which I purchased in the late 1970’s. For now, I am concentrating on tenor.

In particular, I am not sure what tip opening to get for an Otto Link.

It looks like a rubber Otto Link would be reasonable for a contrasting tenor mouthpiece, of quality comparable to the C*, and at a reasonable price. There is a new “RG” version of the OT, described at saxplus.com as “easy to blow” with “a unique parabolic chamber for big dynamic sound”. The regular OT has facing ID’s with tip openings from 0.081 to 0.115 inch. The “RG” model has just three: 0.108, 0.118, and 0.128 inch.

From what I can tell from a couple of charts, as well as saxplus.com info, the Selmer C* for tenor has either a 0.070 or 0.071 inch opening. I have been using 2.5 Hempke reeds. I just started tenor several weeks ago and sometimes run out of wind, especially on low Bb – C#.

Initially my teacher said a 5*, 6 or 6* facing (0.085 – 0.095) would be suitable but not larger, for the regular rubber Otto Link tenor mpcs.

The new RG Otto Links, same price at $74.99 for tenor (saxplus.com prices) have the larger openings: 0.108, 0.118, and 0.128 inch. My teacher as I was attracted to the description for the RG’s “Want your music soft and mellow? Bright and edgy? Have it your way with” the all new OL RG mpc which is “easy to blow” etc. as quoted above.

Unfortunately, I think my teacher received incorrect information about the Selmer C* being comparable to the 0.118 inch for the middle RG Otto Link.

However, given the difference in facing, I wonder if the RG would even be suitable for me, although, if one of these is, I think I would prefer it to the older model Otto Link.

Does anyone have enough experience with C*, Otto Link, mouthpieces in general, and learners in my situation to be able to advise me which Otto Link would be best for me, which of the RG’s if possible?
.......................................................................................
Also, if anyone has a suitable OL to sell used, or possibly donate to SOTW for me to buy at a reasonable price, I would appreciate that too.

Thank you for having the patience to read through this post.

·
Registered
200 Posts
ey aparametric...............if you just started tenor a few weeks ago i would get comfertable with it first on a good mouthpiece like the C*

i cannot say anything about otto link bcause i never even heard about it sorry

but like i said take some time before you start getting different mouthpieces.............it is always good to get what you have now decent before you start rushing things because..............well its like music in general slowly your knowledge and ability becomes greater and tou can move on to different and advanced things like circular breathing and multiphonics

but i can say for a brighter sound silver ligatures can help as well as silver mouthpieces i believe................or you could just try and brighten your sound with your ombuture.............that is all

~TJ

·
Registered
156 Posts
Id say if youre gonna go with a link you should start by trying a 7*.
Thats pretty much the standard opening size for most players i know(Trane, Ralph Bowen, Brecker at one point) all played on a link 7* at one point in their career. If its too big move down, if its too small (though i dont see the need for any larger) you can move up in size.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The Yani mouthpiece is an excellent piece. I have used mine with my T992. Also, an up and coming classical piece is the Vandoren Optimum. I use this now in orchestra work and liked it so much I purchased one for each of my sax playing children. Don't worry too much right away about the mouthpiece as I think the stock Yani may surprise you. It is well designed and works well with the horn.....almost as if they designed the horn and mouthpiece together. What a concept. As far as Jazz mpc goes, there is an unlimited selection out there and unlimited prices. I personally like Morgan mouthpieces, but they are currently up in the 200-250 range. I have tried Jody Jazz HR and Vandoren V16 pieces that were both OK. Jazz pieces don't have to be metal to sound good or project.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts