Sax on the Web Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,780 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Measuring key cups with the pads still in is dangerous.
The Roo pads you will be very happy with. I really like the look. Would be interesting to see in black to compare.

·
Registered
Alto, C-mel, Saxie
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Measuring key cups with the pads still in is dangerous.
The Roo pads you will be very happy with. I really like the look. Would be interesting to see in black to compare.
I've seen at least one vintage silver sax repadded in black (I think it was a Conn, though I could be mistaken), and it looked amazing. I'm probably going to be using black for my next project horn (a Pierret Modele 4); it has the most beautiful patina I've ever seen, but the downside to that beauty is that anything other than black would clash horribly. At least with classic silver you have options.

I've had to disassemble the upper stack twice already, first due to missing a cork, then due to two particular springs not cooperating. I can laugh about it now, but it was a lot less funny at the time. I think I can understand why these horns aren't well regarded by techs; reassembling the upper stack is painful! ...But that part's done now. I still have a few more adjustments to make, and the neck needs to be recorked, but if all goes well I might have everything wrapped up by the end of the month. Needless to say, I'm thrilled. :)

·
Registered
Alto, C-mel, Saxie
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Wow, it's been a long time since I updated this topic. Real life got in the way, and I wasn't able to wrap things up by the end of November. However, I'm happy to report that today I was finally able to sit down and give this horn the attention it needed. It still needs a bit of tweaking, but it was able to play my standard saxophone test song ("Believe Me If All These Endearing Young Charms"; yes, odd choice, I know) with minimal difficulty. This has been a long, hard journey, but the end is finally in sight, and I'm going to have a lot of free time in the next few weeks that I can devote to finishing things up.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,780 Posts
Great news ! Hobbies take time. What’s the hurry ? Looking forward to your success story.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Really enjoying this thread. I'll be doing the same to a 1925 Holton Alto sax I just bought on Ebay. Also got an amazing deal. Looking forward to the final results.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.