Distinguished SOTW Member
Good working soap mix with a little patience and a fluffy brush. Happy it's going well....you've survived the biohazard so far.@PigSquealer Yes, I did use Dawn/baking soda; it worked like a dream! All in all, this horn has caused me remarkably little trouble in the cleaning department; I'm still amazed at how lucky I've been.
As turf3 mentioned put some oil on those springs ASAP!
Yes! All my keys were stamped 677 and two with the partial (correct) and four digit number. You have a all original horn! The transposed number doesn't surprise me. As you know I'm missing the Rudy "R". Also my Chicago Alto has a double struck number on it. See post #858 here https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?70892-Holton-Saxophone-Serial-number-registry/page43Something cool that I found while I was cleaning was that all of the keys had 239 stamped into them...except two, on which had 2439 and 34239 respectively. The latter is actually the serial number for for my saxophone! The former number looked like a mistake, though; the stamping was crooked, as if someone had realized they made a mistake and tried to stamp the correct numbers over the wrong ones (great going, quality control), so it was probably supposed to be 4239. So, it looks like all of the parts were made specifically for this horn!
Take my word that they're junk no matter how good they look. Here's a pad size list I made with the pads in the cups. Dangerous way to measure so I really took my time. With any luck yours will be the same sizes.Taking a closer look at the pads, I've reached two conclusions: that they are indeed the original pads, and also that they are utterly beyond saving.
1.2 MB Views: 36