Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,768 Posts
@PigSquealer Yes, I did use Dawn/baking soda; it worked like a dream! All in all, this horn has caused me remarkably little trouble in the cleaning department; I'm still amazed at how lucky I've been.
Good working soap mix with a little patience and a fluffy brush. Happy it's going well....you've survived the biohazard so far.

As turf3 mentioned put some oil on those springs ASAP!

Something cool that I found while I was cleaning was that all of the keys had 239 stamped into them...except two, on which had 2439 and 34239 respectively. The latter is actually the serial number for for my saxophone! The former number looked like a mistake, though; the stamping was crooked, as if someone had realized they made a mistake and tried to stamp the correct numbers over the wrong ones (great going, quality control), so it was probably supposed to be 4239. So, it looks like all of the parts were made specifically for this horn!
Yes! All my keys were stamped 677 and two with the partial (correct) and four digit number. You have a all original horn! The transposed number doesn't surprise me. As you know I'm missing the Rudy "R". Also my Chicago Alto has a double struck number on it. See post #858 here https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?70892-Holton-Saxophone-Serial-number-registry/page43

Taking a closer look at the pads, I've reached two conclusions: that they are indeed the original pads, and also that they are utterly beyond saving.
Take my word that they're junk no matter how good they look. Here's a pad size list I made with the pads in the cups. Dangerous way to measure so I really took my time. With any luck yours will be the same sizes.

Attachments

·
Registered
Alto, C-mel, Saxie
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Finding those numbers was pretty surreal for me. I'm still a little disappointed that the original mouthpiece is gone, but I have two vintage alto pieces that should be adequate stand-ins once I finally get the horn playable again.

Wow, thanks for the list! I did a little preliminary measuring this afternoon on a few of the keycups, and my measurements appear to tally up with yours. The next order of business will be double-checking them. I knew I was going to have to repad in the near future, but I was hoping I could make the old ones last for a little longer, or at least until I figured out what type of pads I wanted. From what I saw today, though, it's a miracle I was able to get anything resembling a wholesome sound from the horn in the first place.

·
4,768 Posts
Finding those numbers was pretty surreal for me. I'm still a little disappointed that the original mouthpiece is gone, but I have two vintage alto pieces that should be adequate stand-ins once I finally get the horn playable again.
I have no clue if any other saxophone makers stamped the parts. Still cool though to find.
The original MP is nothing to write home about. I do understand it's nice to have all the original parts. Anyone have one for Saxie24? Maybe in Red:)

Here is a way to make the slide tube. Like a micro turner it's actually nice to have.
Courtesy of jazzbug1 on another thread. https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...construct-a-Rudy-model-sliding-cork-mechanism

Wow, thanks for the list! I did a little preliminary measuring this afternoon on a few of the keycups, and my measurements appear to tally up with yours. The next order of business will be double-checking them.
You're very welcome. I was hoping to find someone else to compare notes with.

I knew I was going to have to repad in the near future, but I was hoping I could make the old ones last for a little longer, From what I saw today, though, it's a miracle I was able to get anything resembling a wholesome sound from the horn in the first place.
Good luck getting those old sponge wafers to seal. I tried. I don't do gorilla gripping. Yep, these do have a good sound.

·
4,768 Posts
It's pretty common actually. I have a Conn, a Buescher stencil, and a York that have the serial number stamped into the underside of at least one key. The right hand palm keys seem to be a popular spot for it.
To have the number stamped on all of them? I know it's common to have one or two keys especially the right hand palm Key. But these have it stamped on every one. The last three digits and two with four of them.

·
Registered
220 Posts
To have the number stamped on all of them? I know it's common to have one or two keys especially the right hand palm Key. But these have it stamped on every one. The last three digits and two with four of them.
On every key? No, I don't think I've seen that before. I thought you meant just one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,556 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
My Wiedoeft alto appears to have this as well - at least on every key I can see without taking the horn apart and stripping off corks. However, my 1931 "post-Wiedoeft" alto (SN 40xxx) does not. Maybe they only did it on the Wiedoefts?

·
4,768 Posts
Well this is getting interesting. I looked at my 1920(?) Chicago Alto. I count 6 spots with all 4 numbers on it while assembled.
High F, pinky, G trill, RH palm, just to name some. None on a key arm!
56xx it’s a low number unit. Only has 4.

·
Registered
Alto, C-mel, Saxie
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I figured it was about time I gave this post a slight update. My awkward work schedule and online classwork have really cut into the amount of time I can spend working on this sax, but I do have a slight update: I'm in the process of putting it back together! It's slow going, mostly due to scheduling conflicts but also because I'm deliberately pacing myself. I want to memorize how everything fits together and make sure everything is functioning as it should, adding new cork and felts as I go. I have no idea how soon I'll have it finished, but, as excited as I am to finally be on the home stretch, I'm not going to let that excitement goad me into rushing things. ...Besides, that will give me plenty of time to figure out how to get that blasted camera to take semi-decent pictures so I can show off the finished product!

One thing I can definitely, positively report is that I managed to save the case. It was almost as nasty as the poor saxophone, but a gentle cleaning and liberal application of case odor eliminator came through in the end. I'm still going to let it air out regularly, though.

I've also adopted another Holton saxophone in the meantime: an all-original, near-pristine 1923 C-melody with faded stencils on its case and some interesting accessories. I'll probably post a topic on it in the near future; maybe someone can help me figure out what those stencils say. :)

·
Registered
C-Melody
79 Posts
I've also adopted another Holton saxophone in the meantime: an all-original, near-pristine 1923 C-melody with faded stencils on its case and some interesting accessories. I'll probably post a topic on it in the near future; maybe someone can help me figure out what those stencils say. :)
If you have pix of the stencils, open a new thread I can have a go at deciphering. I love cases with stuff on them. Mine is bereft of them, but it is also peeling apart. I'm going to try and save it (fortunately for as bad as it looks it isn't a stinky dinky!) but it will need new coverings and possibly new fabric inside. It also has warped accessory and neck compartment lids, but the strap to secure the neck in the box is completely intact.

I have a feeling, btw, that we will be working on our Holton C-Mels at the same time. My online classes are done for good (barring disaster) in December, and I am going to start serious work on the C come January. My goal is to get as close to historically accurate as possible. Yours is a little earlier than mine, and in much better condition. When you have time, please post horn and accessories pics in the new thread for comparison...

·
Registered
Alto, C-mel, Saxie
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I'm hoping to be able to post a topic on it in the next few days, once I can get a clear picture of the stencils. They're incredibly faded; I can vaguely make out the shape of the letters, but not enough that I can read them.

Congrats on your own Holton! My C-mel has a few leaks (with original pads, that's to be expected), but it handles extremely well and has an amazing sound. I could probably ramble on and on about how great it is, but I'll save that for when I post the topic. :)

·
Registered
C-Melody
79 Posts
I'm hoping to be able to post a topic on it in the next few days, once I can get a clear picture of the stencils. They're incredibly faded; I can vaguely make out the shape of the letters, but not enough that I can read them.

Congrats on your own Holton! My C-mel has a few leaks (with original pads, that's to be expected), but it handles extremely well and has an amazing sound. I could probably ramble on and on about how great it is, but I'll save that for when I post the topic. :)
Try using a light at a very shallow angle across the stencils. This sometimes highlights matte and semi-gloss areas where the different inks were. The color may be long gone, but the residue and effects the chemicals leave behind is longer-lasting.

I would also be raving about my C if one of the pads hadn't jumped ship while I was learning a scale. I had several people scoff at my learning on an early horn, but I'm really surprised at both how comfortable it is and its wonderful voice.

·
Registered
Alto, C-mel, Saxie
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Progress update! It's still slow going. I'm using a small heat gun to adjust the pad seating as I reassemble the sax; everything is sealing properly so far, thank goodness. I'm about halfway there, I think. The felts have been replaced, and I'm adding the corks as I go. Once I get the main body of the sax in order, I'll recork the neck. Here's a shot of my partially-assembled Rudy. ...Yes, I know my workspace isn't the most organized, but I don't have a lot of space to work. Hopefully I'll be able to do something about that before I start on my next horn project.

Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Brass instrument Woodwind instrument

I have some time off next week, so I'm hoping that, barring unforeseen circumstances, I'll be able to devote my time to finishing this project once and for all. I've loved working on this sax, but I'll love being able to play it even more.

·
4,768 Posts
You’ve made some good headway,Looks great! Love the white pads. The roo pads are challenging to seat. Just be patient. Once done they are very stable for a long period of time.Don’t be surprised if you have to make some more regulation adjustments in the corks later. When it’s all done you’ll have nice piece of pride in your hands. Don’t worry about the workbench. They tend to get messy sometimes.

Attachments

·
4,768 Posts
I did a little preliminary measuring this afternoon on a few of the keycups, and my measurements appear to tally up with yours. The next order of business will be double-checking them.
I'm curious how close my pad size list is. I just assumed you went with white Roo pads. Any other options for white ?

·
Registered
Alto, C-mel, Saxie
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
There were two measurements on your list that didn't match up with mine (a smaller pad and one of the larger pads; I'll have to double check to remember which ones). Everything else checked out, though. As far as I know, there aren't any other options for white pads other than Roos. I was torn between white or black pads, but decided to go with white for aesthetic purposes.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts