1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
this is something ive been trying lately
to play withouth thinking of the harmony
just of the up and down movements of lines and listening to the other players

So I put jamey aebersolds autumn leaves on, and i recorded myself. I realized I didn't know what key it was in, but then i realized that theoretically with my approach it didnt matter. anyway, take it as you want. Some parts are less than great, but im fairly happy with this recording.

http://www.divshare.com/download/15502989-c28

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,943 Posts
oh yeah sorry for the 13 mb size
I was interested in listening, but the only option seemed to be for a download. I would suggest you make it available for streaming. And yes, a smaller file size would be good.

·
Registered
323 Posts
This is all I recieved:

We'll be right back!
We are currently performing maintenance on one of our servers, and we should be back to normal shortly. We apologize for this inconvenience.

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Sounds like you are exercising a lot of your own well worn riffs etc. No problem (IMHO) having no refernce to the "intended" tune. I've always thought that the best use for band in a box was to use the background to make up your own tunes. To my ears there is no continuity and little/no intention to communicate anything except that you can play your horn.

I suggest you try this again but have a feeling/mood, melodic idea, anything that gives you something that communicates. Being able to play with some agility does not = being able to play something that means anything to anybody. You've obviouly got good chops, put them to use.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I really enjoyed this very much and I could easily hear that with more practice (ear wise) you could well be on to something unique for yourself and possibly for others as well.
Very refreshing concept indeed and one which I've dabbled with myself in the past. Naturally, you'll get flack for it because possibly the 'integrity' of the chord changes are being compromised
from the usual traditional approach. But I say who cares about the flack, right? Your heart will never lie to you if you're open to listening to it without being bothered by outside interference.

Hi Wade...Sorry man, totally unfair to say that he should put his chops to better use. I personally think seerskater has and I embrace it.
Communicate? Well, for what it's worth seerskater said a lot to me. And, going out on a limb here, I personally think he didn't give a rat's gluteus maximus what anyone thought. Naturally, I don't know how he would feel if he received negative responses and I hope it doesn't deter him if indeed he does receive some. My guess is he enjoyed this performance and rightfully so.

Stick with it!

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
This reminds me of a situation I was in a number of years ago. In 1980, a friend of mine borrowed my '69 Camaro to go to the store. Unbeknownst to me, he was trying out a theory that you could drive down any road, in any direction, and arrive at your destination simply by "thinking about where you wanted to be".

2 days later, the police found the car in the grass in an Interstate interchange just outside of O'Hare airport -- about 30 miles away.

A day later, O'Hare security found my friend sitting on a bench in O'Hare's Terminal 1, unable to tell them who he was or how he got there.

Neither one was in "street-able" condition.

Much of what we call "modern music" today reminds me of this situation.....

·
8,588 Posts
We talk about Jazz being a language that needs to be learned to be appreciated and built upon. Another story comes to mind....

I spent St. Patrick's day evening in an Irish pub on 8th Ave in Manhattan in 2000. Came across 3 gentlemen from Conamara (western coast of Ireland - where they speak both Gaelic and English). Quite friendly people, definitely wanted to have a chat with a friendly New Yorker, so I obligued.

For the next hour I listened, heard a lot of words I recognized as English, but had no ability to relate to what was being said. I had one conversation, they were engaging me in another. I came away from the conversation without a clue as to what they had actually intended to say.

If jazz is a language that consists of a conversation between the melody and the background (the rhythm and the harmony), if you ignore the background, was there actually any conversation in the first place?

Things that make you go "hmmm...."

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is interesting because both of you guys (mike and wade) said things that i have thought about in my own playing as well.

to wade: you are right about several things. I sound like i am playing trying to "showcase my ability." I understand that i sound like this. However, I swear it isnt the case. I think my subconscious pulls me towards sounds that i think will make people think are "good" and when i dont have anything to say that usually ends up as "fast." I am trying my best to counteract this gravitation, but im not great at it yet. Basically what im saying is, Im trying to work my wait out of that :)

I can understand how you don't hear any continuity or intention to communicate in my playing. Again, I swear there is continuity and intention to communicate, They are just in their primordial stages.

To Mike: Sometimes i like to think that is true about the rat's gluteus maximus thing... but i know deep down it is not. I wish it weren't true, i would love to be able to take negative criticism constructively. But I am 18 and at this point in my life I dont think I can haha, maybe in a few years. That being said, I think I'm going to listen to your advice more than wades (no offense to wade) because i think i need self motivation.

Oh yeah, and i fixed the link guys, it should stream now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To maddenma: I am sorry about your car. That was a pretty selfish thing for that guy to do. However, i would like to meet your friend, as I think we would get along.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Much of what we call "modern music" today reminds me of this situation.....
Personally, whenever I come across anyone at least trying to do something unique I can only respect the effort.
If anyone wants to hear, and or play, something done one million times then yes, they should keep gravitating towards those same patterns of thought.
If someone attempts to try something not societal acceptable I applaud their efforts. The important factor is that it's at least attempted if the individual who
is performing the task has and urge to do it. In this element is where possibilities are discovered. Sure, it can work and yet it may not work. That's not the issue.
The issue is the musician behind the desire.

If this is what gives the term 'modern music' a bad name, who cares?

if you ignore the background, was there actually any conversation in the first place?
You're assuming the musician ignored the background. I'm assuming he did not and played off the harmony his own way however the musician's brain works.
He mentioned he was not thinking of the harmony but only listening to what the other players on the recording were doing. However, in my opinion his subconscious was hearing
his own version of the harmony.

In all honesty this was one of the most 'interesting' improvisations of music I've listened to by members of SOTW. Good for him!

·
8,588 Posts
He was very much into Astral Projection. Unfortunately he was gone too long and the body died and was buried about 6 years ago. Not sure where the rest of him went.

·
8,588 Posts
In all honesty this was one of the most 'interesting' improvisations of music I've listened to by members of SOTW. Good for him!
Not to worry. I say the same things about Coltrane....

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Cool. I dug it. FWIW "Autumn Leaves" is one of those American Songbook era tunes that you can improvise on not worrying about the chords, but just staying in the tonic scale. That's just an aside. Regarding your playing, the only suggestion I would make is that, even though you can play disregarding the chords, it might make it more interesting - and tangible to some listeners - if you did nail the changes occasionally, to bring it back inside (tension-release). It could help give it form and, since it's more Ornettish in approach, nailing an occasional change pattern, I think, might even make the changes seem more radical LOL when they do occur.

Alon?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
18? That's also refreshing to hear because possibly your not all that tainted? lol...
No really man, I respect your ear and where you want to go with this. Yes, development will come and your ear will
evolve. Hopefully along these same lines. I would definitely like to hear more of your music when you have some.

Man, just don't get bogged down or 'confused' by what others may tell you if it's not their cup of tea. If you're passionate enough about this
then put friggin blinders on and forge forward!
Naturally, in time you will be able to filter out the negativity when you KNOW this is who you are!

·
8,588 Posts
... if you did nail the changes occasionally, to bring it back inside (tension-release). It could help give it form and, since it's more Ornettish in approach, nailing an occasional change pattern, I think, might even make the changes seem more radical LOL when they do occur.
Agree. Come back occasionally. I'm definitely in a wierd space tonight as a result....

From the Moody Blues, Legend of a Mind:

He'll fly his astral plane,
Take you trips around the bay
Brings you back the same day
Timothy Leary

I think this was the real genius of Coltrane as well. Take a trip out into outer space (or what must have seemed like it at the time) and then ground everything back into the melodic structure every once in a while.

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
I like it, and I know why I like it: the independence of the soloist is 100% and it has its own formal integrity. The supporting tracks have another independence that is 100%. The combination is solid because the 2 parts are each solid and create another thing.

BTW, there is more than a little Dolphy in the results.

Conclusion: keep it up. But, on the other hand, you may never work again (just kidding, I think).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm glad you like it! haha and thats awesome about the dolphy you heard in it! i remember when i was playing, sometimes I was just like "i sound like dolphy" and i tried to copy his style a bit. i think im going to go listen to dolphy right now.

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
Listen to Dolphy with Booker Little at the Five Spot. Standard tunes (like your track) and Dolphy playing that harmonic anagram against it. I have always loved it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts