Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this horn from a pawnshop some years ago which came with an odd neck which wasn't part of the original horn.

The horn was a Rene-Duval thingy made in italy, but this neck is from something else...

Also, there is a number '14' inscribed on the front of the tenon flange, and roman numeral 'XIV' etched on the oactave key.

any idea waht this is?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,885 Posts
does number 14 appear as the last two figures of the SN? I have seen this on some Italian horns but I don't recognise the octave key (might very well be a Borgani)

·
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Matt. certainly sounds plausible.

I guess what I really ought to figure out is this: the neck's key is nickle plated and the horn is all brass. It's a good tenon match and plays in tune.

Will I be destroying something notable if I remove the nickle plate?

·
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
does number 14 appear as the last two figures of the SN? I have seen this on some Italian horns but I don't recognise the octave key (might very well be a Borgani)
nope, best I can tell it's from a completely different instrument.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,885 Posts
ok, it should be too difficult to take the nickel plate off (if it is not made of nickel silver!) or replacing it with another octave key

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
Something about it says older Borgani to me. I could be wrong.
Damn you ! I though I was gonna fer sure win the prize on this one !

That's what it is...an old Borgani. Might be from an Alexandre-engraved horn, as well...as those were Borgani stencils.

110% certain...I have 3 of 'em kickin' around here....

Definitely keep the octave key on there....it's a very hip octave key....

·
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet. Guys, thanks for the assist.

That's what it is...an old Borgani. Might be from an Alexandre-engraved horn, as well...as those were Borgani stencils.

110% certain...I have 3 of 'em kickin' around here....

Definitely keep the octave key on there....it's a very hip octave key....
makes me wonder if the horn itself is a Borgani stencil. The key is cool. If it wasn't nickel plated, it would match the horn well with it's art-deco appearance.

how should I remove the plating?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts