Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older MK VI alt
o 5 digit sort of worn but plays great....I lost the lyre screw. I realize i dont need it but would like to replace it anyway. Anyone know if available or what size?

· Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
43,584 Posts
o 5 digit sort of worn but plays great....I lost the lyre screw. I realize i dont need it but would like to replace it anyway. Anyone know if available or what size?
this person seems to have them (No idea of who he or she is! make your choice with all the necessary caveats)

https://www.google.com/search?q=Bor...ECAwQAw&biw=1920&bih=895#imgrc=XjQWm1mZg5GTpM

https://picclick.com/Selmer-Mark-VI-Lyre-Screw-123198619654.html

My teacher used to make fun about the lyre screw telling people that they would be able to change their intonation (of course this was prior the Klangbogen ). Despite playing no other function than holding a lyre (which most never use) I understand wanting to have a horn having all it had when it was made. My Super 20 came back from the technician without it and I asked him to find it ( he also lost some of the washers.. :( ).

· Super Moderator
26,698 Posts
My alto has one, but my tenor's is long gone.

· SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
25,278 Posts
If it's 'sort of worn' you'd benefit from a trip to your tech, who can check the horn out and take care of anything that is 'worn' or that it might need in terms of how it plays. And he'll also almost certainly have a lyre screw (which it doesn't really need) lying around.

And if you haven't heard of the buzz screw, klangbogus, or LeFreak, that milandro mentioned, do yourself a BIG favor and forget you ever heard those terms; wipe them right out of your memory bank!!

· Registered
Selmer Paris Reference 54 Alto N791XXX
668 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it but if you want one to replace it you can get one from a number of sources. https://www.bostonsaxshop.com/small-goods/isimori-wood-stone-sterling-silver-neck-screw this is my go to but others may have a better cheaper option. I would stay away from the high mass nonsense it does nothing in any real significant way make you better or even make you sound better. The only thing that will have the most impact is practicing all the things we hate practicing, like long tones, overtones, subtones, altissimo etc.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
38,792 Posts

· Premium Member
4,355 Posts
As much as I totally disregard any "acoustic benefits" of the "Ergonomic Heavy Mass Saxophone Neck Screw" I can vouch for how much more comfortable it feels to tighten the neck screw by rolling the "ball" between the thumb and forefinger than it does by twisting and turning a traditional neck screw. The "ergonomic benefits" are real even though the acoustic benefits are not.

· Distinguished SOTW Member
951 Posts
As much as I totally disregard any "acoustic benefits" of the "Ergonomic Heavy Mass Saxophone Neck Screw" I can vouch for how much more comfortable it feels to tighten the neck screw by rolling the "ball" between the thumb and forefinger than it does by twisting and turning a traditional neck screw. The "ergonomic benefits" are real even though the acoustic benefits are not.
I would get one because I like the way they look. I bought a (really un-needed) cool mahogany end plug for my MKVI Bari on eBay for ~$20.00 after years of looking for an end plug for a Selmer Bari.

· Registered
9,291 Posts
The ones on my Selmers have been frozen shut for years. My MarkVI soprano lyre holder has an Oleg neck strap dongle I’ve just left in there. I never have used a neck strap on soprano, but I just left it there so I don’t lose it.

· Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
43,584 Posts
OP was talking of the LYRE screw not the neck screw, so, all " the neck tightens so nicely ” argument don’t really apply.

he probably wants an original screw simply to reinstate originality , in view of this, even replacing both screws with anything else wouldn’t be “ original”.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.