Sax on the Web Forum banner

A Love Supreme Sextet Version

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  hakukani 
#1 ·
Wow. I just discovered the existence of these recording and immediately bought the deluxe version of a Love Supreme. I was also please to see a live version in France which I'm actually finding I prefer over the original recording. The real standout for me though was the sextet version that included Archie Shepp and Art Davis. There were 2 takes of Acknowledgment with the first having pretty terrible audio but still being a great performance and the second being even better in terms of audio quality. I was wondering if recordings exist of the other parts of a Love Supreme (Resolution, Pursuance, Psalm) with the sextet. Acknowledgement was mind blowing for me as I just discovered the existence of that recording. I'm only 14 so forgive me for ignorance of not knowing about these recordings. I'd just been reading about all of the Coltrane recordings that haven't been released and it really baffles me. I'd pay $20 to hear tapes of Coltrane practicing scales at home or takes that didn't have the best audio quality really anything. It surprises me that no one has thought to cash in on this because I think a lot of people would be interested. Any way I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on the sextet version or live version and if anyone knows about the existence of any more takes. Thank you.

#3 ·
Acknowledgment and Resolution were in the Deluxe album but its amazing to see him play. I haven't watched many videos of him playing before, he just has such incredible control. Was that video supposed to be an advertisement for a collection of videos of him playing? If so I'd definitely be interested in buying that.

#6 ·
Yes, it's an ad for a DVD. There are actually many videos of Trane playing. Other videos and films was one of him playing So What with Miles in 59 for a documentary, one with him and Wynton Kelly, one with him and Getz together, several cinescopes from 1961 in Europe, a great one from Montreaux and a couple of others.

#4 ·
I'd pay $20 to hear tapes of Coltrane practicing scales at home or It surprises me that no one has thought to cash in on this because I think a lot of people would be interested. Any way I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on the sextet version or live version and if anyone knows about the existence of any more takes. Thank you.
Search around on Amazon a little and you'll find a bunch of live albums released in the last few years. I've picked up a couple, and while I dig the playing, the recording quality is iffy at best. Trust me, if Coltrane's on the recording, someone's going to try and profit from it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.