Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to over share but I'm really please with how this performance turned out. The Flugelhorn players microphone quit right before his solo so I attached my microphone to his bell. When he put it back on my sax is was not positioned correctly and sort of messed with my opening solo thought. All I could think to play was My Romance then thoughts developed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4i...ZSQ16QDiQVM0nETrSxz2pfo9Bvxphb55IO1x4Zt7-xx7c

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
There was just a slightly lower volume. It worked out well. I really admire both your solo and the fleugelhorn player's solo. The band was really good. Kudos to everyone. It sounded like everyone belonged together. I'd enjoy hearing more.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Sounded like you also did a brief quote of “Four” at the very beginning of the tune. I really enjoyed your music!

·
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounded like you also did a brief quote of “Four” at the very beginning of the tune. I really enjoyed your music!
I lifted the beginning from Elan Trotman’s version.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
8,021 Posts
Excellent, pro, great, what can I say? I would never expect to hear jazz on this level in a church (well, I would have to go into one first, wouldn't I?):)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
That was gorgeous....outstanding! I'd buy this.

·
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
3,343 Posts
Hi A. Greene
Man,you sounded just great,ou and the fluglehorn player too.
Love your sound A,and playing of course...
Did nt hear much difference in sound volume,it was juts so good,just forgot to check the difference ,lol
May we know your tenor set up?
All the best
Mario

·
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi A. Greene
Man,you sounded just great,ou and the fluglehorn player too.
Love your sound A,and playing of course...
Did nt hear much difference in sound volume,it was juts so good,just forgot to check the difference ,lol
May we know your tenor set up?
All the best
Mario
Mario - I've been playing a Tenney Slant Tone Edge for about 12 years. I have 4 - My regular is around an 8 opening with a Jazz Select 2H. I can't explain why it works for me as most Tone Edge players are much darker. What I really like about this piece and Tone Edge pieces in general is the flexibility - I can sounds from the Clarence Clemons Grind, Smooth Jazz, Straight Ahead and even the SNL Scream all from the same mouthpiece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,216 Posts
You sounded great, as usual, Tony.
Love your sound.

Nice recording.

·
3,343 Posts
Mario - I've been playing a Tenney Slant Tone Edge for about 12 years. I have 4 - My regular is around an 8 opening with a Jazz Select 2H. I can't explain why it works for me as most Tone Edge players are much darker. What I really like about this piece and Tone Edge pieces in general is the flexibility - I can sounds from the Clarence Clemons Grind, Smooth Jazz, Straight Ahead and even the SNL Scream all from the same mouthpiece.
Hi again A.
Very interesting about that Tenney Slant..
I do have a great HR Link,mid 70's ,but surely i will try a Tenney S. one day.
Saw that you also use one on your sop.,,that does interest me too...
Thanks for the reply..
Again,great video of you !!!
My regards
Mario

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,273 Posts
Very nice playing and a very nice tenor sound. Didn't hear much difference during the solo, just sounding good too (same for the Flugelhorn player).

For my taste you were a bit too loud during the ensemble backings.

·
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For my taste you were a bit too loud during the ensemble backings.
I totally agree. I think the sound guy had a preset level for the opening solo. No way to tell on stage. 😢

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
great playing - love the song, too!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts