Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
VENDOR "Innovation over imitation"
16,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to give a shout out to my friend Marty with the A.L.E. Reed Balancer.

I play on the Hartmann Fiberreeds and love them. Marty had asked me to check out his reed balancer, but I told him I didn’t have any use for it because I play synthetics, not cane.
Well, he sent me one anyway to see how it would work on these particular reeds…. and I am happy to report that it is fantastic!

I washed my reed with soap and water and when I went to use the balancer, I could see the stuff that it was pulling up. I scraped the underside of the reed from the heel to almost the tip, and the sound was so much clearer for me. It really brought the reed to life. I didn’t go over the tip of the reed because it’s so thin there. I just stopped short of that.

I just wanted to give a heads up in case you guys were looking for something like this. There are other products that do the same type of thing and I just wanted to give a shout out to Marty for this because it really works even on the Hartmann reeds, and it’s priced nicely at about $35
I’d be curious if others have tried this on some of the other synthetics out there. It definitely works great on the Hartmann Fiberreeds.

All the best,
Mark

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
4,006 Posts
Interesting! Have not tried. Playing mostly legeres. Which i really do not work on.

·
16,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t know how it would work on those, but I bet someone here has tried it. I’d be interested to hear the results.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
hey Mark - just curious about which Hartmann reed you chose and of course why? Also, are you a HR or a metal guy?

·
16,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi bro, hope you are well! I love the carbon reed and I am definitely a hard rubber guy. I don’t mind metal, but I don’t like it nearly as much as hard rubber.
I am going to order some of the other models from Hartmann and check those out. Looking forward to it!

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Thanks Mark, greatly appreciated - would you play the same reed on metal pieces?

·
16,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Absolutely. I have metals here and I use the same reed on those. They make lots of different models so it’s worth checking out to find what you want.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts