Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know how they do this special effect, but I might have difficulty in explaining exactly what it is.
It's a "special effect" that used to be often employed mainly by tenor players. Johnny Griffin used to love doing it...... a kind of wide trill, or vibrato, between two quite widely-spaced notes, but not the kind of trill you'd get by keying it......more like a "yodel" effect that is a novelty effect but shouldn't be overdone. To put it another way, it's like a kind of repeating glissando, up and down and back up, and very rapidly played.
I hope I've described it accurately enough - I'd like to have it in my armoury for very occasional use..... but does anyone know HOW ?
Richard

·
Registered
76 Posts
There are a few, but the most common would be fingering your middle E-flat and lifting the g key (ring finger on left hand). With the appropriate throat and embouchure changes that should enable you to play both a G and a B-flat with the same fingering. Yodel away!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gee- Tried it ! - Marvellous !
Do you know if it can be done in other keys ?
Damn it - I know it's corny but I love it !

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,009 Posts
CountSpatula said:
That's what immediately came to mind for me also. A very cool effect.

And7barton, this exact effect seems pretty well-restricted to this one tone, but of course you can use it on the note Bb in several different keys, especially keys where the Bb is an important tone. You can get something similar (not identical, though) on a lot of tones, using alternate fingerings. For example, try playing an A (left hand 1, 2), then press and lift the right three fingers (RH 1, 2, 3) all together, back & forth. Do this quickly and you get an interesting effect.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tip. I'll try that, although I already use a lot of different fingered trills, over wide intervals. It may be one I already use. I tried that "Texas Wobble"....... a very interesting effect and it's the one I was looking for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There are many different fingerings to do the wobble on many different notes... the one described above is one of many. It has taken me hours to figure out different fingerings of different notes. Experiment and figure them out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts