Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this mouthpiece for a bout a month, and i'm on my last v16 size 3 that i was using on my c*. My instructor uses la voz, and i've never used rico, but i hear the quality of their reeds have gone down. I just wanted to get some information from you guys before i spent the money on a new box.
Any help will be much appreciated,
James

·
Registered
239 Posts
:cool: I found that Vandoren JAVA 2 1/2 Works really well for me. I have also used La Voz medium with some success. But for me the JAVA's are the better reeds.:cool:

·
Registered
239 Posts
:cool: The La Voz is brighter than the JAVA, which gives darker sound than most reeds. If you want more edge to your sound the La Voz is the better reeds. There is still some edge with the JAVA, but not as much as La Voz.:cool:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,494 Posts
The Francios Louis work well for me. (on the DV NY that is)

Get them at Roberto's

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have a Jody Jazz DV 7. I use Vandoren javas, ZZ's and V16's all 3+1/2. It seems almost to light to me. I know alot of great players using the DV and they tend to use 4's mostly in the Rico Jazz. Rico Jazz are cheaper in price than the Vandorens. Andy Snitzer uses the orange box ricos in a #4. I wish they made 3+3/4 cause the 4's are a bit to heavy and the 4's a bit bit to light. To me, the Vandoren ZZ, V16 and Javas are very similiar. Tried using the Rico Jazz but it didnt cut thru enough for me.

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
So Scotty... you finally settle down with the DV?!?!?

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
Dude - your favorite song must be Chamaeleon. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my instructor said that one of his student has a dv and he uses zz's with it so i bought a pack today and i really like the feel of them. i havent played them in jazz band yet so tomorrow i'll find out how it is with the rest of the class

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
Yeah, no need to learn a mouthpiece on your own time when you can more easily hear yourself. Heck, why not wait for a gig to learn it?

Sarcasm aside, playing a new setup in class for the first time is not fair for your mouthpiece or the rest of the class. Spend some time with it at home learning its tuning idiosyncrasies and response and THEN take it to band.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Dr G said:
Yeah, no need to learn a mouthpiece on your own time when you can more easily hear yourself. Heck, why not wait for a gig to learn it?

Sarcasm aside, playing a new setup in class for the first time is not fair for your mouthpiece or the rest of the class. Spend some time with it at home learning its tuning idiosyncrasies and response and THEN take it to band.
I don't think he's playing it for the 1st time in rehearsal. I just think he's saying that he needs to wait until he has played it w/ a band before he can make a conclusion.

Playing by one's self doesn't always give enough data. Least that's been my experience.

·
Registered
591 Posts
i used to have a DV 7* tenor. and all the reeds softer than 3M or zz 3.5 will choke off. i think the facing is soooo long. i even went to a 3H.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
my instructor said that my high notes and low notes sounded weak so i should get a 3.5, i've only played as hard as a 3 on my c* so i'm a little reluctant to buy them.

and DSTACK that's exactly what i'm doing, but i should spend some time to get to know my setup even better

1 - 15 of 15 Posts