Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I just got home from a big band gig, I was thinking a bunch of things. Tonight I got to play with an old college friend as he was subbing in the section and he had his new Mark VI tenor. Now say what you want, but my opinion is there are better ones than others out there regardless of setup. This one was the result of a long hunt for him and as he was on lead tenor and I was on lead alto, which years ago I knew after 3 notes that my VI was better than most, when the 2 of them (us) together were playing it was amazing. Was it the matching horns? Maybe? Was it the matching teachings from years ago? Maybe?

Now onto other things. This band isn't the best band. It has it's problems. We play at this venue the first Thursday of each month for tips and beer. They'll pay for up to 5 subs at $35 a piece. It was a good deal because we use to rehearse on Thursdays anyway.

It was loud. Rhythm section gets too loud too quickly, but no matter what we've tried, a big brick room with wood floors and high ceilings gets loud. Shocker!

I've played for Aretha Franklin, Jay Black, Denny Green (Sha Na Na), the West Point Band and countless shows and other gigs. Have done well.

I think it has taken me having had a stroke almost 3 years ago to appreciate how enjoyable something can be even though it's not perfect. Granted it would be better if the rhythm section wasn't so loud, or the old timer sitting to my left playing second tenor (who is a really nice guy) wasn't always unpredictably strong and wrong.

It's when you have a good moment, to recognize it and not let the other stuff ruin your enjoyment of it thats important.

It was a good day.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,597 Posts
Gratitude is a beautiful thing.

Thank you for sharing.

Warm regards to you and yours.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Ayup........I'd call that a win in my book too! Finding the good things in a not so perfect situation certainly isn't a bad way to look at the overall picture!

·
Vendor
15,607 Posts
Charles,
Well said!
We all have these moments in life, but it’s the smart person who takes a moment to stop and smell the roses.
Being grateful, is a wonderful thing.

·
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will say that I wrote that post after that gig, but after seeing another post where somebody had just gone off and ranted, sighting everything they can and have done to empower their decisions, and I know through personal experience that this person can take advantage of people. It was just a moment when I just had to remember that we should look at the "cup half full" rather than the "cup half empty". Again 2 years, 357 days ago I had my stroke that has put things into perspective, but who's counting?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,558 Posts
Thanks for the wonderful post Charles.
I sat next to the worst trumpet player on the planet for many years ( he was THAT bad) in a busy and successful wedding band, and kept telling myself this exact message, until the time came when I couldn't take it any more and quit. I calculated that doing about 120 gigs a year at an average of 5 hours per gig, I was being tortured for 600 hours per year!! It was good timing anyway because the band leader retired the following year and folded the business. The success of the band was based entirely on his personal connections, his personality and his unique shticks, so nobody else could've purchased, inherited or taken over the band anyway...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,558 Posts
BTW how do feel about your Viking tenor vs. your P. Mauriat 66?

·
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Viking Vs Mauriat - well My son has the Viking in college now as he took it over and I still have the Mauriat. They're different creatures. I think the Viking goes more towards that Selmer vibe and the Mauriat towards the vintage Conn vibe. Personally I like the huge-ness of that Mauriat, but it was built "correctly" with modern mechanics and such. The Viking is nice. Eitherway I don't see either leaving this family for a long time.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Congrats on your success as a gigging sax player.
But i have to say that your appreciating what's important in the moment is maybe even a rarer thing and I enjoyed your post for both reasons.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
You are a great man.

An over loud rhythm section drives me to distraction, and I envy your ability to take that in stride.

I just keep thinking, over and over "why can't those guys listen?" "Don't they hear that they are smothering the line?" when this happens.

·
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Again I think is because of the stroke and with this near death experience I had, where I'm just not going to fight battles that I know I have no chance of winning.

·
Vendor
15,607 Posts
You’ve got a mouthpiece and a horn that you love, what could be better!
Just sit back and enjoy the rest...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts