Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

I am brand new to the forum. I am a double reed teacher who looks to pick up the alto saxophone. My motivation is to be proficient enough so that I can teach a class of mixed woodwinds. My playing will be strictly classical.

I am looking for an alto, as most of the solo classical works were written for it. I won't be playing the alto much, so I am not going to spend a lot on a top model. Would a vintage instrument be the best bang for the buck?

I have read nice things about the Couesnon Monopole here. Some posters have commented the Couesnon Monopole has a very nice but smaller sound. For me personally, an instrument with a smaller sound would be ideal, as I live in Hong Kong, which is VERY densely populated. I would rather not bother my neighbours that much when I practise at home. Would the Couesnon Monopole be ideal for me?

Thanks a lot in advance for your suggestions!

Sorry I forgot to mention: I am planning on taking (and passing) a diploma exam (ATCL or LTCL) to prove that I have reached a certain proficiency. I will need to play classical works like the Françaix Danses Exotiques, the Maurice Tableaux de Provence or the Milhaud Scaramouche.

Just in case this changes the equation ...

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,898 Posts
Just pick up a solid YAS-23. It will do what you need to do and be reliable and won't cost much. The only caveat is that many of the solo classical works include High F# and having a High F# key is enormously convenient for these particular works. Most of your student horns and cheap vintage altos won't include this key.

- Saxaholic

·
Banned
2,967 Posts
+1.....also the vito models(made in JAPAN) can be a stencil of this saxophone....they are a bit cheaper....
good horns....
don't buy the couesnon....

cheers,philip
Just pick up a solid YAS-23. It will do what you need to do and be reliable and won't cost much. The only caveat is that many of the solo classical works include High F# and having a High F# key is enormously convenient for these particular works. Most of your student horns and cheap vintage altos won't include this key.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry I forgot to mention: I am planning on taking (and passing) a diploma exam (ATCL or LTCL) to prove that I have reached a certain proficiency. I will need to play classical works like the Françaix Danses Exotiques, the Maurice Tableaux de Provence or the Milhaud Scaramouche.

Just in case this changes the equation ...

·
3,898 Posts
You'll want to pick up a model with a high F# for what you're doing. Pick up a used YAS-52 and that will take care of what you need it to do.

In fact, I think there's a forum member selling one here for like $800 or $900 which is a steal because it was recently overhauled.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
402 Posts
I started playing saxophone about 3 years ago, having played bassoon for many years. You will find the fingerings wonderfully simple in comparison! But all saxophones are loud, especially when you are a beginner.

My first tenor saxophone was a modern one, but when I bought an alto and a baritone, I decided to get vintage instruments because I felt they offered better sound for the money. I still think they do, but my decision was a mistake because I was ignoring ease-of-use. The vintage instruments sounded great while I was noodling around, but once I started playing them seriously with other people I discovered just how problematic the ergonomics were - fast passages were a lot more difficult than they needed to be. I have replaced my vintage saxes with modern-style instruments. So my advice for a beginner or an occasional player is to go for good ergonomics and leave the vintage saxophones to the experienced players. The easiest alto I have ever played was a student Yamaha - no fuss, it just worked. You can improve the tone with a different mouthpiece - a Selmer S 80 C* would be an obvious choice for classical playing.

·
Banned
2,967 Posts
also the yas275 made in japan would be a goody....
also the yas25 which has the high F#....
also,where are you in the world....?

cheers,philip

·
3,898 Posts
There's a number of YAS-52 horns on Ebay that would work that are below your budget. I'd go for those.

- Saxaholic

·
3,898 Posts
Yeah, I forgot about that. Regardless, the horn in the link above is being misrepresented as the neck looks to have a serious dent on it that wasn't disclosed.

Still plenty of good ebay options for a 52.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. Do you know long do I have to wait before I can use the Marketplace? I am looking to acquire an alto by August this year.
6 months since your join date and a minimum of 50 posts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts