Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings saxophone lovers! I'd love to get your feedback on a documentary series I'm making that features the saxophone. I'm a college professor on sabbatical this academic year working on my new project “Music of the Gilded Age in the Hudson Valley.” I'm doing research and putting on performances of late 19th century music in historic mansions. Here is a 2 minute trailer for the first one in the series: https://youtu.be/wZSJQkIZKXw

What do you think?

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,253 Posts
Welcome to SOTW, Prof. B. (Retired Prof here... there are several around these parts). Looks like fun.

Dat
Sax
Man

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,134 Posts
What fun to experience one of these concerts.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Great idea- reminds me of the mansions in Newport R.I.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I want to be a part of the summer music series they have in Newport; I heard a wonderful concert in the Breakers and the Elms a few years ago. I need to let them know about this project. Best wishes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I try to make it more informal than your typical concert, with lots of stories between each piece. Best wsishes!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to SOTW, Prof. B. (Retired Prof here... there are several around these parts). Looks like fun.

Dat
Sax
Man
Thanks! I've read posts on SOTW but never signed up or shared anything. I'm glad to be a participant now.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Looks like an interesting show and a great way to liven up the often-dry tours of these old estate mansions. You appear to be playing a Selmer, not a period sax. Is it a period piano? Looks like it might be.

What is the piece that you are playing in the trailer? Is it original saxophone repertoire from the period, or something that you've arranged?

Some viewers of the trailer, unfortunately, might be puzzled by the presence of a saxophone in this particular historical context. "They had saxophones back then?! I thought jazz hadn't been invented yet!" It might be helpful to include a sentence or two explaining that saxophone music did exist in the Gilded Age.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts