Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont know how often you people experience this, but for the first time in close to 5 years, i had a gig last night where every possible this that could go right on the gig, DID!!! (and with more than i expected!!)

so, i'll give you a quick bit of background info. my band we're originally playing on thursdays with a sax player, and a fantastic keyboard player. after 8 years on thursdays, the bar requested that we move to wednesdays due to a "new" band that would suit a thursday crowed better than us. unfortunately, the sax player and the keyboard player couldn't work on wednesdays due to commitments with other bands. and thats how i got the job, but on keys, (and we didn't have a sax player at all)

so on monday night, i got an email from our original keyboard player asking if he could come down and jam on wednesday night because he had a night off. immediately i realized that i could play sax on the gig, and told him he was more than welcome to come down. unfortunately, we have a bit of a volume issue on wednesday nights, and the sax doesn't help. the only tenor mouthpiece i had was a guardala MBII (which is anything but quiet) so i spent all of the next 3 days trying to work out how to play my guardala softly.

on wednesday arvo, there was a knock on my door, and an australia post guy was there with my brian powell refaced link that i had sent about a month and a half ago. immediately i opened the box, slapped on a reed and was just ASTONISHED at what this thing could do. it had the flexibility to go from a gently stan getz ballad tone, all the way to a full on rock and roll jam, and with not a great deal of effort either!!

so i rocked up to the gig, and scored the parking space right outside the bar (an extreme rarity in northbridge!!)

we began the gig with some jazz tunes, and with the right players on stage, the vibe was just swingin!! 3 tunes in, the entire bar was packed out!!

our lead singer walked on stage, and first song of the night, we had every single person on the dancefloor. mid way through the set, our good friend karen came in, who's a singer aswell, so we got her up for a few guest "female" party tunes (i will survive, simply the best)

the gig was a great success, and at the end of the night, some guy from the crowd came up and gave us a 100 dollar tip, and requested a couple of stevie wonder tunes, which are always good fun for the band.

after packing the car, we all walked down to chinatown for a late night feed, and payed for our late dinner with the tip we received.

on the way home, i listened back to the recordings of the gig, and for the first time EVER, i was completely satisfied with my tone, and playing.

ive also uploaded a track from last night. this is us playing barry whites never never gonna give you up. feel free to let me know what you think. i was really happy with how it came out

http://www.box.net/shared/ore88a5c4p

i realize that this is a long post, but this is such a rare experience for me, that i just had to share it with some people. id love to hear any experiences you guys have of the same nature.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Yes I've had this experience but not for about five years. I enjoyed the playing most of all the tone which after all is pretty much all that matters. Also how relaxed you were with the time but not in a distracting way. Thank you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,444 Posts
"How sweeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeet it is!" - Jackie Gleason

Congrats!

Now, "Do it again! Do it again!!" - my kids when I do something they really, really, really like

·
Registered
337 Posts
I've had that feeling recently after a gig. The only downside was that the venue was new in the area and crowd was quite tiny. Otherwise it was a fantastic gig.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
Say what? $100 tip from some guy in the audience.Wow!

Been stiffed a couple of times, but never got a tip from anyone in 30+ years.
I guess we sucked.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts
Can I ask what you were doing in terms of the voice leading over the changes complementing the vocal, I thought it worked really nicely.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
surprisingly, we did both how sweet it is AND do it again on the gig!!

as far as voice leading, im not really sure which part you're talking about. i generally just use my ears on the gig, and try to compliment the band. i guess, to describe it, theres the riff at the start of the song, which i formulated from the piano riff in another barry white song (im gonna love you just a little more) during the verses, the only chord is a gm9 or 11. so i try to base any of my ideas around the 9th or 11th. i very rarely use a straight ahead g minor line, or resolve on the root. i also think in d minor as opposed to g (all speaking in concert) in the chorus, i mainly focus on triads.

im not sure what else i could say. if there's any specifics you'd like, im sure i could work it out for you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts