Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Very impressive, theatrically and musically, to coordinate 150 sax players to play together, although I didn't hear any interesting Plas Johnson or Clifford Scott or King Curtis style riffs, any upper register throat frenzy screaming notes, any altissimo, false fingering notes, trilling up from Bb3 to D3, growling in the lower register, flutter tonguing, etc.

I wonder how many Japanese Yen the gig and all the prior practices paid for each sax player - might be a bowl of sushi and a glass of saki after the show.
So then you have to wonder who is making all the money from a full house of concert-goers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,136 Posts
Wow! Never seen anything like it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I suppose the answer to “why?” is “because they can”... yes, it sounds ok if a bit muddy due to the vast numbers playing the same lines, but would I pay to watch them live? Er, no.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
What's most remarkable about this performance is not the number of players assembled (just a practical challenge), nor the general quality of the playing (expected from this crew), but rather the replication of almost the full range of timbres and colors of a symphony orchestra by a group of nothing but saxophones!

(Yes, I know there is one string bass present. Believe me, you can barely ever hear the string bass in a conventional concert band, let alone in a huge ensemble like this.)

No other instrument could do this. Saxes by themselves manage to recreate the woodwind section, and the brass, and even the strings! Listeners who aren't familiar with the original "Jupiter" may not recognize or care about this phenomenon, but it's very impressive. I've played both "Jupiter" and "Mars" in a large concert band, and I think the sax-only ensemble sounds more like an orchestra than we did.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts