Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Better if you have a recording rig.

I open up an accurate tuner on my phone (iStrobosoft).
Set up a mic with headphones and a little reverb.

I open up Apple Music and play along with records.
They just need to be in tune.
I don't play the SONGS....just find long notes that fit.

Keeps it from being boring, get some ear training in, keep a musical tone, work a wide range of dynamics and random keys.

Lots of old fun jazz records are really out of tune so you have to shop around a bit.
I like using soul records that don't have lots of changes.
Or I'll choose a record with a tone I really like and try to match it.

· Distinguished SOTW Member
3,631 Posts
Better if you have a recording rig.

I open up an accurate tuner on my phone (iStrobosoft).
Set up a mic with headphones and a little reverb.

I open up Apple Music and play along with records.
They just need to be in tune.
I don't play the SONGS....just find long notes that fit.

Keeps it from being boring, get some ear training in, keep a musical tone, work a wide range of dynamics and random keys.

Lots of old fun jazz records are really out of tune so you have to shop around a bit.
I like using soul records that don't have lots of changes.
Or I'll choose a record with a tone I really like and try to match it.
Speaking as the official SOTW unhinged anti-Long Tone ranter, this sounds like a horrendously boring waste of time to me.

Practice some scales with a metronome, and play MUSIC.
Long tones ain't music.
Brass players need to do long tones, woodwind players just need to play... CORRECTLY.

· Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
4,281 Posts
A good compromise: play the roots, long and loud. Just let any good radio play, and play the roots over whatever comes. If you don't get them, just blow. Trying to follow the changes just makes it a bit more interesting, and a good ear training.
My favorite: www.jazzradio.com, modern big band channel.

· Forum Contributor 2015-2017
4,849 Posts
Another recalcitrant inmate here.

datsaxman don't do no long tones.

I play through a handful of favorite ballads to start every session. Just two or three out of the many standards, more or less rotating through the list at random .

Never the possibility of boredom, and those tunes really sound great at gigs ...

· Registered
Buffet Clarinet, Conn Soprano Sax, Buescher Alto Sax, 2 Bundy One Tenor Saxes, Conn C Melody Sax,
3,117 Posts
I use long tones as a yoga-type breathing exercise. I combine this with exercises on page 6, (3rd edition) of Rascher's "Top-Tones for the Saxophone". He calls them "Sustained Tones". I do the ballad thing once in a while, too. :treble::bass:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.