Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
I became a Brandon Fields fan when I saw him play with Tower of Power. It was his first gig with the band and I hear that he had two rehearsals. He was reading charts and blowing smoking solos that were nothing like the recorded solos. Later I saw him with David Benoit in a more straight ahead setting and then a couple of times with Weckl's group.

I would buy a ticket and stand in line to see him play anytime. Thanks for the links...

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
edhara said:
Thanks, ed . This last one i thought was really great. I do wish the crowd would't woop on every high note, though. It's kind of irritating and seems to me like it can encourage duller playing. The funk stuff i think i'd need on a cracking stereo rather than my little laptop to get the effect. Again, thnks so much for the posting though.

·
Registered
494 Posts
He has always been one of my favorite, man he and that guitarist are killer in Synergy!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RootyTootoot said:
Thanks, ed . This last one i thought was really great. I do wish the crowd would't woop on every high note, though. It's kind of irritating and seems to me like it can encourage duller playing.
I once took a lesson with him a looooong time ago (it must have been at least 16-17 years). I remember him mentioning to me at the time that he believed in using the altissimo range as part of his natural playing vocabulary rather than just for effect.

Honestly, I haven't heard anything in his playing over the course of the last 20 years that would lead me to think differently, and near as I can tell, it certainly hasn't stifled his creativity at all. :)

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
edhara said:
I once took a lesson with him a looooong time ago (it must have been at least 16-17 years). I remember him mentioning to me at the time that he believed in using the altissimo range as part of his natural playing vocabulary rather than just for effect.

Honestly, I haven't heard anything in his playing over the course of the last 20 years that would lead me to think differently, and near as I can tell, it certainly hasn't stifled his creativity at all. :)
I suppose I meant my remark to be pointed more at the crowd than it was at the player. Maybe i'm just being grumpy. I guess a level of excitement at a gig must be a good thing. We don't really want everyone sitting on their hands until the last note like a classical performance, do we?:)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RootyTootoot said:
I suppose I meant my remark to be pointed more at the crowd than it was at the player. Maybe i'm just being grumpy. I guess a level of excitement at a gig must be a good thing. We don't really want everyone sitting on their hands until the last note like a classical performance, do we?:)
I *do* think that's a telling state of the audience... some people are definitely more interested in having an exciting player rather a good one. Fortunately, I think Brandon's quite a bit of both. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
Thanks Ed-especially enjoying Synergy,over &over

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can anyone tell me if there's a better mechanism to share mp3 recordings that don't require a re-encode?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts