Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My saxophone has had a couple of repairs making it almost perfect, but when I am playing, I sometimes hear overtones coming out of my octave A. (which is the A fingering with octave key)
Either overtones, or I'm getting some weird buzzing noise when played loud.
I'm also hearing the same thing with my D+octave key.
And also the G and G#.
Here's another question, when adjusting the opening of the palm keys (for example tuning), what is the procedures used for this?
I'm guessing add more or less cork to the key.
I'll post a video if you need more info.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man, that would help alot.
How far are you from McAllen Texas?
An hour drive.
I got my horn fixed at Melhart and Texas Band and Orch.

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,314 Posts
All of these notes have one thing in common: they are close to the break for switching octave pips. The sax has two octave pips doing the job that should acoustically be performed by 12- one for each note. Since that is mechanically difficult, 2 can suffice but not without compromise. The notes at the extreme ends of each octave pips jurisdiction can suffer, sometimes buzzing or whispering or sounding airy.

Try this: http://www.musicmedic.com/info/articles/num_46.html

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
As Adabcliche said.

The octave key does not automatically switch to the appropriate octave. It is but a remarkably good aid to that switching.

Good embouchure and air support are vital, and small changes in these do a lot of the switching, or at least maintain good pitch and tone. The embouchure and air support must offer an appropriate configuration for playing in the particular range.

For example, in the second octave, changing from F to D. A particular configuration of embouchure and air support may be just fine for F, but not quite sufficient for D. What we need is a configuration that works well for both.

An illustration of this is that if a second person is doing the fingering, and the two players slur form say high F to low F, then simply taking the thumb off the octave key does not make the change. Just as we cannot tremolo between octaves by simply moving the octave key.

In practice, an experienced player learns to make many very small changes to maintain on-going best compromises, without even noticing.

However it is also possible that you have blockages in both octave vents, or that the size/placement for your particular sax is of poor acoustic design, which is most unlikely for any respected brand.

Get another accomplished player to try the sax.
If the problem is indeed yourself, get a few lessons from an astute teacher.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice, I'll see what I can do.

·
Registered
214 Posts
It could just be spit: next time it happens, stop immediately and blow into the octave vent on neck to make sure it's clear, then play the high A again.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I looked into it again recently.
I'm getting a hiss not from the neck but rather at the octave pips where it closes when fingered below octave key A.
I don't really have a problem with the A, little or no problems.
But octave key D and G + G#, are the problem.
G and G# have a tendency of going to a squeak (I think that's the terminology)
when changed quickly, while playing, anything but a G to A trill, or A to G. Like changing from Octave B to G.
Octave D has a similar problem, but in a different way.
I don't really hear much from the octave hole on the neck, but rather the octave pips.
I'll get back to this again.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
As has been mentioned before, upper register D and G# are at the extreme lower and upper limits of what the lower 8ve vent is comfortable with, so you will most likely get some hissing on both of these notes.

For D you really want an 8ve vent lower down the body tube (at a similar level as the high D tonehole) and for G# you really need an 8ve vent somewhere just above the crook tenon.

So a compromise has been found using only teo vents as two automatic 8ve vents are far easier to make and keep in adjustment than having a mega complicated mechanism with an 8ve vent all opening and closign automatically for each individual upper register note (which will be around 17 going right up to high F#).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
I have had a similar problem with prestini pads with the rivet. That rivet will vibrate giving a humming sound I had a horn completel repadded and leak checked, and realized upom play testing that the rivets were vibrating...GRRRRR!!!!

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I would consider that quite a different issue.

Chunsoo, there is a slight possibility that your neck octave vent is not fully closing for notes from D through to G#. (Get another person to pinch the pad firmly closed while you play those notes.) Otherwise it would seem to be what Abadcliche, Chris and I have been rattling on about.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would consider that quite a different issue.

Chunsoo, there is a slight possibility that your neck octave vent is not fully closing for notes from D through to G#. (Get another person to pinch the pad firmly closed while you play those notes.) Otherwise it would seem to be what Abadcliche, Chris and I have been rattling on about.
I just tried that possibility.
Pinching down octave key on the neck had no effect at all.
When I pushed and held the octave pip very little, the hissing was gone.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Your original post did say that you were having trouble with octave A...

It could just be spit: next time it happens, stop immediately and blow into the octave vent on neck to make sure it's clear, then play the high A again.
You never said if you tried this or not.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Your original post did say that you were having trouble with octave A...

You never said if you tried this or not.
I also tried that too.
The problem has been the same for months.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts