Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I've been playing the clarinet for about 25 years and used to play (untrained) tenor saxophone for 8 years (Dixie band) and stopped about 12 years ago.
I bought an Alto recently because I figured the higher pitch fits better into a Rock/Blues environment and also because with the Tenor I've always had difficulties reaching the lowest notes - I thought I was likely using too much pressure from my clarinet experience, and the alto would be closer to what I was used to.
It took a few months of band practice, and I find it easier to reach these notes now, but it's not consistent yet. So I'm wondering if there's any advice someone with a similar issue could give me.
The sax is used but fully restored and well taken care of - I bought it from an instrument repair guy, and he recently checked it out again, so I don't think there's leaks, so we can probably rule out instrument issues. It's a Vito.
Second is a question about the side valves for D-F. On my tenor, I seem to remember that I could use them without the octave key and produce the desired notes I needed. On the alto, without the octave key, the notes that come out are increasingly flat. They work perfectly with the octave key. So the question is: Was it more or less coincidence that it worked on my old tenor, and these keys are not supposed to work in the lower register at all, or could something be wrong with my sax? Again, it was just checked over last week.
Third, I produce way too much moisture, and it easily finds its way into the front holes and the side valve holes. Are there any tricks of the trade to either prevent the moisture from being produced in the first place or something that will maybe redirect the moisture away from these holes and into the bottom of the instrument where it can harmlessly collect out of harm's way?
Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one?
I'm in the middle of my last rehearsal for a gig tomorrow, and I've been watering like crazy today :-/ The cork grease obviously did nothing or possibly even made it worse...
Somehow I can't believe that there's no one out there who a) doesn't at least have the moisture problem and b) found a trick to make the problem easier to deal with...
If I could at least get some advice on that issue, I'd at least feel a lot better for tomorrow.
Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm not the person to talk to if you're having sax problems but in the short time I've been playing I've noticed that the pads under the G-C keys sometimes leak water if I lean forward too much. Maybe try adopting a more erect stance if you slouch too much while playing. My two cents for what they're worth.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hm, that is a good point - I think I do lean forward some...
I'll try to "play" with different stances, thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shouldn't be an instrument issue - I bought the sax from a guy who fixes them professionally, and he just recently had another look at it and replaced the D-E pads because I soaked one of them last week, and he rigorously checked it over for leaks and stuff.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I've always used the octave key with the palm keys. That's the way it is supposed to work. Unless I'm misinterpreting, I believe you were getting the first overtone with your tenor. I've always believed tenor was easier to get overtones in higher notes, particularly altissimo (over F3). Might as well get used to using that octave key with the alto... easy to do anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts