Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning to upgrade and buy an audio interface for home use (and probably still will), but I have been reading many threads from Zoom H2 users who are getting very decent basic recordings with their H2s, and have recommended to others buying an H2 for this purpose. I own an H2 and while I love it for simple stand-alone recording, I find it a little cumbersome for computer use and wanted to see what others are doing.

I was wondering how those who are recording at home with an H2 are monitoring while recording. i.e., are you hooking headphones up to the Zoom headphone jack? I would like to get proper feedback when I record and the little headphone amp in that thing doesn't really seem up to the task. Also, are you adding some reverb (for monitoring, not recording, purposes) or are you just listening to yourself dry?

When setting levels, do you do this entirely through your DAW software, or are you setting the level on the H2 itself? On what setting do you set the mic gain switch?

Finally, would any separate audio interface with a reasonably decent mic provide a noticeable difference in preamp/recording sound quality from the H2 or would I need to look at something more than the lower end budget (say sub-$200) interfaces?

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,169 Posts
I record Live performances and / or rehearsal data directly into the H2. Then I just use the USB interface to dump it into a computer for editing or private rehearsals etc...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts