Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I have a Theo Wanne Kali, and I feel it is a bit too bright and thin, especially in the higher register. Is there something a person who works on mouthpieces can do to help that? I heard that lowering the baffle might help??

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,072 Posts
Kali's are great mouthpieces. I wouldn't alter it. Just sell it on ebay and get another mouthpiece. If you have it altered you will have a harder time selling it. I suggest looking at the Gaia or Amma. They have lower baffles and will have a thicker matter sound. The Gaia was my favorite of the ones I reviewed.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Plenty. Just make the search function your friend. :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I heard about the Berg Larsens, that they tend to have a fat, and powerful sound. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Just go for a Link type piece. What you are loking for is a big chamber and low baffle. Be prepared to put some time and breath support in it cause these pieces need it. In exchange it will reward you with a wonderful dark rich sound with edge if you push it (if you find the right Link..)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do have a link for my really dark piece, but it doesn't really have any edge to it whatsoever, and it's not powerful at all.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a Berg Larsen 120/1 Metal mpc. for my bari and the sound is FAT! Its just thick intense sound, and my director can't get enough of it. He's got me playing the alto 1 part with the lead alto player, so it has great depth Not sure what to say other than just go out and test out a bunch of mouthpieces with a friend and have them tell you which sounds best

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
As Neff says, I wouldn't change anything on such a nice expensive piece as a Wanne. Links and Dukoffs (depending on your sound preferences) are great pieces to experiment with, as are many other mass-production (and relatively inexpensive) pieces.

That being said, one mod that can really fatten up the sound, open up the sound, and make the sound bigger in general is to extend the window "U" shape further back to the point where it matches the length of a reed vamp. Also, widening the "U" shape is part of this mod. Many modern Links have a "U" shape that, in my opinion, is not long (or wide) enough to allow the sound to resonate properly. Then, the rails must be thinned to match the thickness of the newly widened "U" shape, and the rails can be thinned some overall to make things match up in terms of thickness. On Links, you can also grind out the sidewalls to be uniform (there are often unwanted hunks of metal hanging underneath the rails that can be removed to achieve smooth sides). Then, everything has to be finish-sanded inside to bring it back to a smooth shiny finish (this is a process that takes a couple of hours on its own).

However, the effect is generally worth the effort, the sound opens up a bunch similar to a vintage piece. On many some vintage pieces I've seen, this mod was part of the design in the first place. Seems like they were onto this idea many years ago.

Like mentioned above though, I wouldn't take the chance on messing with a high-dollar Wanne piece. Theo (who knows a lot about mouthpieces) put a lot of research and time into making his mouthpieces the way they are. Much better to mod a stock Link, Dukoff, or Vandoren piece rather than risk making a change to an expensive piece if you end up not liking it.

And for whatever it's worth, I've never played a metal Berg Larsen that I would pay a dollar for. They are often faced poorly. There are many great players who sound awesome on them though, from Sonny Rollins to Shelley Carroll. So they work for some folks! The other thing about metal Bergs, though, is that they're made from stainless steel - Most people that reface mouthpieces (including me) either won't work on them or have to charge extra because of the wear and tear they put on your tools.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,272 Posts
Give the Morgan L series a try if you get the chance.
I play a 7L on my zephyr with RICO jazz select 3m unfilled reeds and the sound is
Positively SUMO FAT.
Might be a case of right piece for the horn.
Interestingly the Morgan was far less impressive with softer reeds.
Would probably be worth experimenting with different reeds and strengths before giving up
On the current piece.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Guys, A vintage Berg I got off ebay arrived today, and its amazing! It has the fat sound I'm looking for and the perfect amount of brightness. Thanks 10mfan!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Give the Morgan L series a try if you get the chance.
I play a 7L on my zephyr with RICO jazz select 3m unfilled reeds and the sound is
Positively SUMO FAT.
Might be a case of right piece for the horn.
Interestingly the Morgan was far less impressive with softer reeds.
Would probably be worth experimenting with different reeds and strengths before giving up
On the current piece.
I've been playing a Morgan 8* MLL with zephyr. It really needs a 2-2.5 reed to sing well. It's interesting that other posters have stated that Morgans work better with softer reeds. It just goes to show that each person is different.

No matter what mouthpiece you get, concentrate on your tone. Open up your throat and think "O" instead of "E". Play long tones.

Trust the link. It's the gold standard for a reason. Mine stays in the case for bebop and rock gigs. The Morgan is just the most recent case of GAS

·
Registered
90 Posts
I use Berg Larsen stainless steel mpcs for my Hohner Tenor and Yanagisawa Low A Baritone.They make the saxes sound fuller and clearer. The only drawback is that they will not fit saxes with necks that have bigger bores for the neck tube.I also have a Berg Larsen hard rubber Tenor mpc. It sounds a little mellower.But the stainless steel mpcs are great I dont think that re-facing or re-working a mpc is a good idea. The better option would be to get a different mpc that suits you better. HORNLOVER -COLOMBO

1 - 20 of 20 Posts