Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The article is only in dutch it's no use posting it here.

In The netherlands this kind of jazz is popular.

(My saxophone teacher is the tenor player btw)

My guess is that it will focus on things like that.

What do you think about this idea?

·
Registered
646 Posts
I liked both of these, but didn't recognize either of them as jazz. Maybe my musical horizons are too narrow.

American Idol relies on considerable audience feedback as part of the formula, doesn't it? So the success of the program will depend on how much public interest they can stir up - not just people listening (a universal radio yardstick of success!) but people getting involved, and particularly voting. If this type of music (jazz or not) is popular in the Netherlands - well, why not? Anything that gets new talent an audience has to be a good thing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I liked both of these, but didn't recognize either of them as jazz. Maybe my musical horizons are too narrow.

American Idol relies on considerable audience feedback as part of the formula, doesn't it? So the success of the program will depend on how much public interest they can stir up - not just people listening (a universal radio yardstick of success!) but people getting involved, and particularly voting. If this type of music (jazz or not) is popular in the Netherlands - well, why not? Anything that gets new talent an audience has to be a good thing.
Well I think you're right about the not really being jazz stuff, that's the only problem i have with it. It's hosted by a radio station that mixes popular jazz with straight ahead jazz in the evening.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Just checked some of their tunes on YouTube. Great music. What-ever one wants to label it as. Just because the Sax is not the main instrument it certainly doesn't mean that its not Jazz.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Just checked some of their tunes on YouTube. Great music. What-ever one wants to label it as. Just because the Sax is not the main instrument it certainly doesn't mean that its not Jazz.
No argument with that - plenty of great sax-free jazz out there, and I liked the music too. But if I were going to classify it, "jazz" wouldn't come in the list of possible categories.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Horrible stuff........music is not a sport...........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts