Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm practicing and the reed feels really off, so I change reeds. Hmm, I thought this was a good reed... Am I just off today or did the weather warp my reeds. Ok, let's try another reed. Weird, I guess I just don't have it today.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. My stupid self knocked the neck off center, AGAIN... I think I do this at least once a month.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,917 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,204 Posts
Are you talking about knocking the reed off center or the neck of the saxophone?
If it's the reed, snug up the ligature.
If it's the sax, tighten the neck screw or take it to your tech and have the tenon expanded for a better fit.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I tried to make sense of the opening post . . . read it several times. I THINK what he is saying is that he THOUGHT his playing problem was his reeds but then he discovered that he accidentally moved the neck off-center in some way. Sure, that may make the horn play badly if the neck and the octave-rod weren't properly aligned and the upper octave vent was remaining open, even slightly.

It happens. Just make sure you take a quick check of your equipment before beginning your practice - or gig. DAVE

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,307 Posts
If the neck receiver and tenon are a good fit for each other, then you should be able to rotate the neck 10 - 15 degrees or so either way without adversely affecting the interaction between the octave key actuator and the octave key pip mechanism. OP might have his tenon-receiver fit checked by a tech, and if that's not a problem, re-read P. Thomas's post on reeds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts