Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a look at part of John Coltrane's legacy -- a Church. I thought the video was very informative. I'm not proselyting, but if you ever wanted to have an inside look here is the Link:

The Church of John Coltrane

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Here is a look at part of John Coltrane's legacy -- a Church. I thought the video was very informative. I'm not proselyting, but if you ever wanted to have an inside look here is the Link:

The Church of John Coltrane
No politics, no religion here. Rules is rules after all.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
No politics, no religion here. Rules is rules after all.
That's technically true I guess (since people have a hard time tolerating others' views on those topics, so that's the rule on this forum). But it makes one wonder what John Coltrane would maybe say (no way to know, but interesting to contemplate)- to completely seeing his music without the spiritual context? In fact, would he say that's what his music is ALL about- that "Coltrane changes" etc. are just the vehicle for the ultimate purpose of his art- that just talking about his horn, MP, his unique musical concepts, etc. isn't worth it if the reason for it all is never even considered? It's too bad that kind of spiritual stuff is so taboo, and friendly conversations aren't possible, because it's a million times more interesting than just what MPs he used and all of that.

It also kind of begs the question- why is there a "sacred sax" section on here? What are we supposed to talk about under this topic?

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
Having been there, played there, eaten there, many times back in the day I can say it is a place where all are welcome and the love of the music runs deep. Exemplary people in my experience.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
That's technically true I guess (since people have a hard time tolerating others' views on those topics, so that's the rule on this forum). But it makes one wonder what John Coltrane would maybe say (no way to know, but interesting to contemplate)- to completely seeing his music without the spiritual context? In fact, would he say that's what his music is ALL about- that "Coltrane changes" etc. are just the vehicle for the ultimate purpose of his art- that just talking about his horn, MP, his unique musical concepts, etc. isn't worth it if the reason for it all is never even considered? It's too bad that kind of spiritual stuff is so taboo, and friendly conversations aren't possible, because it's a million times more interesting than just what MPs he used and all of that.

It also kind of begs the question- why is there a "sacred sax" section on here? What are we supposed to talk about under this topic?
I was kind of joking there - perhaps an emoticon would have helped. carry on.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts

Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,409 Posts
Is there a JS Bach church? a W A Mozart church? or even one for Duke ? i doubt it. I admire Coltrane he pushed the limits as did Pablo Picasso, William Shakespeare, Isaac Newton et al.
A church? no that's too far out for me I think it's a travesty.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Is there a JS Bach church? a W A Mozart church? or even one for Duke ? i doubt it. I admire Coltrane he pushed the limits as did Pablo Picasso, William Shakespeare, Isaac Newton et al.
A church? no that's too far out for me I think it's a travesty.
A travesty? How so?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts