Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone play one of these old horns? I've only heard recordings, but I've never heard of anyone owning one nor have I seen one in person. Seems like it would be something different or fun to play with.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
If you want to see a crumhorn, among other Renaissance instruments go here:

http://www.piffaro.com/education/intro/fullmovie.html

Crumhorns are a a reed instrument with a 'cap' over the reed, so the reed is not controlled with the lips. They were fairly common during the Renaissance, but after the 16th-17thh century there wasn't much of a call for them, as they are not a very flexible instrument.

I think the Renaissance oboe, shawm, doucaine, dulcian, and rackett have much more interesting sounds.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,077 Posts
In my younger days I took my soprano sax to a blues gig and the bandleader introduced me as "Johng Galt on the shawm ..."

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
In my younger days I took my soprano sax to a blues gig and the bandleader introduced me as "Johng Galt on the shawm ..."
Must have been a nicer way to say "fish horn'.:)

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
I have a capped Shawm in A
http://www.albanfaust.se/en/the-instrumentmaker.html
I heard one being played by Ale Moller the Swedish multi instrumentalist, found out who made it and got one. I used it this week on a track with a drum, Morris Dancer bells and a whistle in A to evoke a Victorian street scene for a project I'm doing. It has a very keening sound . Mine plays almost a chromatic scale A to A with a low G Gsharp on the little finger. I really like it.
I am interested in getting a Rauschpfeife next. I saw a young Austrian folk band who's line up was Pipes. Rauschpfeifen and Shawms with drums..they were amazing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,077 Posts
No my name isn't really John Galt.
It played for a week in only one location in the Boston area and I missed it. I'm sure there will be other opportunities...

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
When I was in 8th grade the band director bought a Krummhorn (that is how I remeber it being spelled) from some place that still made them. I got to play it in a program of medieval / rennaissance type music. Other students played various sizes of recorders during the program / concert...I wonder what ever happened to that Krummhorn ? It is the only one I have ever seen...the school has long been torn down I believe...

It made kind of a buzzing sound as I recall...

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
As stated in the prevous posts, since the reed is capped, there is limited flexibility on what sound you can make. It sounds like a buzzy duck. It has a limited range.

All that being said, it can be fun to play in renaissance music, and it adds some color to the recorders etc.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
OMG your name is ACTUALLY John Galt? Have you checked out the Atlas Shrugged movie yet, by any chance?

I hope it's better than the book...

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the website Hakukani, very interesting. I enjoy the historical aspect of the Renaissance instruments as well. (Being a history geek and all.)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
Thanks for the website Hakukani, very interesting. I enjoy the historical aspect of the Renaissance instruments as well. (Being a history geek and all.)
I was in our Collegium Musicum when I was at University. I did some transcriptions of white notation for recorder consort. It was fun.

I found out about Piffaro when they gave a concert here a couple of years ago, and I discovered the website this year when I was teaching ancient music as part of my Music Appreciation class. Glad you enjoyed it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts