Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of videos from a concert last monday. Imho the best player from the netherlands

This one really has an awesome piano solo by Peter Beets:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
wow. thanks for sharing. great lyricism.

·
Premium Member
18,604 Posts
Always great to see and hear Ferdinand. Not only a fantastic player, but also a great teacher and the musical 'father' of lots of great young Dutch players. Thanks for posting.

·
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
blablabla

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,577 Posts
self deleted

·
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
blabla I can't delete my posts anymore

·
41,577 Posts
self deleted

·
41,577 Posts
self deleted

·
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, I think that we can safely assume (look at the many threads on drugs and art on this forum) that this is not an uncommon problem nor is it limited to the jazz scene (lots of " burgers" (for those who don't speak Dutch ...... civilians ) have problems with substance abuse.

I don't know if it is in the nature of the artistic beast or not, I don't really care. We are what we are, some things are good and some are less good. You take and accept (or not) a person or any event for what it is, not for what it should be.
Yes well if I just like to listen to his music I wouldn't care but I want to be a jazz musicians myself and I really hoped I would be able to study with him.

·
41,577 Posts
lots of people studied with Lennie Tristano despite any "problems " he was a genius

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,355 Posts
great video's. thanks for posting.
Povel has a BIG history and so many songs and tunes on his repertoire.
On Bernie's tune for example on 3.56It's hard to tell if he qoutes "Tickle Toe" or that are just spontaneous improvised notes. Such an ease of playing, wow !
I don't quite understand the "problems" discussion though, was there something I missed ? maybe deleted posts ?

·
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
great video's. thanks for posting.
I don't quite understand the "problems" discussion though, was there something I missed ? maybe deleted posts ?
Well I drug problems and him being not such a nice guy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,355 Posts
Well I drug problems and him being not such a nice guy.
Well , he seems to have overcome those things, I met him only once, he was nice enough for my standards...
And it is of no relevance to his art.
Charlie Parker, Charles Mingus, Miles Davis etc. too weren't people you'd take home to meet mother at some point in their lives.

·
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well , he seems to have overcome those things, I met him only once, he was nice enough for my standards...
That's a good thing to hear. I could hardly imagine it when I saw him perform.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
DAMN- He sounds great. I heard him at North Sea years ago- and had the pleasure to speak to him in the bar jam at the" Golden Tulip". He's really a great player.

Musicians, and the artist mind set are a tender lot. I feel that to arise to the demands, rigors and ups and downs you have to get a ~mind set~ in your life.
One message is simple: living in the now is the truest path to happiness. And while this message may not seem stunningly original or fresh, anyone wanting to play and perform should work on the ~mind set~ as well as the music. Povel has had the great fortune to really do as he wishes in life- and we admire that. So should he. He has great respect from his peers, eg-Pepper Adams was a friend of mine and Pepper played me records of FP back in the 70's. Etc etc ~ In the USA a guy like this might be playing A LOT less and not as he wishes. LOL. It's the luck of the draw.
Artists are holding the world in a different container--everyone does not understand jazz or even knows/likes it. To practice and BE more conscious of how thoughts and emotions get in the way of OUR ability to live in genuine peace and happiness. I can dig how anyone who is doing jazz can de-rail or get fogged butthe deal is to be aware of this in advance and deal. Easier said than done yes, LOL, but also a _GEAR_I think everyone needs to develop and work to.

Povel packs a lot of information and inspirational ideas into his art- I always dug him. On the" Shining Hour" cut you can hear his love of Griff. ( Whom he knew) I dig how he inspires the band with his_TIME_feel in the " Griff" vibe. He's lifted the music up and really is strong.It takes courage to jump into the mix likethat- and KEEP it there!! For me, IMHO, there is the freedom and joy in playing jazz!! Not to mention the gentle and easy manner in how he did it. Like it was 2ed nature.

It sure would be a groove to hear him in USA for a few times a year too- but as I said earlier- we all should know how this music IS accepted and the ups/downs of reality. If I had a life like his in Holland- the last place I'd even care about performing would be a city where the rodents are as big as Cadillacs!! LOL! He's got it made-and sounds beautiful.

GREAT STUFF.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Interesting <imaginary comment deleted> thread....

I always enjoy listening to any of Ferdinand's music that I can get my ears on. Appreciate and admire his playing a lot, for some prettty basic reasons. What I hear in his playing....

- Great command of the jazz language, not too much of any single influence...seems to favor Griff, Trane, maybe some Harold Land and George Coleman in addition to some of the earlier boppers...

- Melodic player, really shines on a beautiful ballad

- Lovely robust tone not too dark, not too bright. seems pretty big and focused

- His technique is superb, he is a saxophonist

What's there not to like?

Shawn

I hear some suggest bop based playing like this is "old school" (or a dying art)...well, call me a dinosaur then, as I never tire of listening to music like this and the "classics" like Bird, Miles, Sonny, Trane, Jackie, Hank, Joe, Clifford, Freddie, Herbie, Wayne, etc. etc. etc.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts