Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a detailed analysis of the role of the mouthpiece in saxophone tone production.

The saxophone mouthpiece significantly contributes to the overall timbre of the instrument. Specialized mouthpiece designs employ combinations of chamber shape, facing dimensions, and material to create a potential sound and response for the performer. Also, manufacturers claim that ligatures affect tonal brightness. However, there is a lack of scientific data reflecting the impact of the claimed tonal characteristics of the specified designs on timbre.

A Comparison of Saxophone Mouthpieces Using Fourier Analysis to Quantify Perceived Timbre

· Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,422 Posts
Interesting, but there were a few of leaps of faith that seemed to be based on a small amount of data. Each topic could be expanded into a larger, and more thorough paper. But overall, it is nice to see some work being done in this area. Hopefully someone will pick up the work and advance our knowledge base.

· Forum Contributor 2014-2015
1,773 Posts
Interesting, but there were a few of leaps of faith that seemed to be based on a small amount of data. Each topic could be expanded into a larger, and more thorough paper. But overall, it is nice to see some work being done in this area. Hopefully someone will pick up the work and advance our knowledge base.
I read through this last evening. It's a really good effort, especially for a DMA in saxophone performance. I agree that it's nice to see work being done in this area.

· Registered
4,380 Posts
Years ago I worked for a company that made digital storage oscilloscopes with a built in Fourier transform function. I wanted to do some experiments like this but the memory, given the necessary sampling rate, wasn't large enough to capture enough sound to make it viable. I also wasn't sure how to fabricate a mic setup to match the scopes input.

· Registered
679 Posts
Is there a TL;DR summary?

My own bias is the baffles matter most.

Chamber size 2nd.

Ligs - more playability than sound differences.

Metal vs rubber vs plastic vs wood - not a huge difference. Purely subjective on my part.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.