Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I play tenor as my main horn, and probably will continue to do so. I am however looking into getting a soprano for doing some metal-guitar-solo esque work. I am (soon) playing in a rock/metal band and some higher registry solos I think would sound really good.

Disregard the above paragraph entirely though when answering to my question: What would be a cheap but still good enough quality soprano to buy from the internet? I've been looking into the Thomann TSS-350 which is roughly 300 Euro, would you consider this a quality instrument or just a toy?

Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
No such thing as a toy, but some barely make good lamps! Buying a used Antigua, Jupiter, Kessler, Barone, or any other Taiwan make with a good history (some lesser brands have good ones too, but are hit and miss), in the Intermediate to entry-level pro, are good choices. Sometimes some vintage sopranos come up with sub $500 pricing as well. $300 and less you will be hard pressed to find any soprano worth playing (even if it is in an "alternative" style).

The used Taiwan makes can usually be bought from $300 to $500, in new, or near new condition (new ones lose their value by half as soon as they walk out the door!)

·
1,001 Posts
I think if you stay in that price range, your chances of getting a good lamp are high. For a horn to play in public, I'd go closer to $1000 USD. I have been happy with my Antigua Winds 590 for the past 6 years and intend to keep it several more years.

·
1,552 Posts
Several years ago I got the Kessler model 1 soprano ($549) and have gigged with it. Sounds great, plays in tune and has held up really well.
(No endorser or financial interest)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts