Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
nice way to start the day - thanks for sharing. those cymbals looked like they had a tough life

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,005 Posts
That was great. It was recorded in 1940, so obviously none of the horns are more recent than that. The tenor with split bell keys, looked like maybe a Conn. But that's only a wild guess. Hard to tell from the video.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Hep band....Viola Smith could kick it.

anyone identify any of the horns ?
Not a chance. I was busy watching Frances Caroll.............

I'll try. New Wonder II Tenors. On the right, a Selmer BA alto. Conn alto on the left? Maybe a Selmer bari?

Looks like Viola Smith died THIS YEAR at age 107! Amazing.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Frances was a babe. Couldn’t take my eyes off her. The girls looked like they were college age.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Not a chance. I was busy watching Frances Caroll.............
Frances was a babe. Couldn’t take my eyes off her.
Ohhhh, believe me....yeahhhhh....yowza....I hear ya, 'mates.

Dang she was a hottie. 1939, mind you.

Her moves at 2:17 of that vid...oomph....

...I almost....:oops:

Looks like Viola Smith died THIS YEAR at age 107! Amazing.
Really amazing...here's an interview when she was 102+. I mean, looking at that interview and how sharp she is...I would have guessed her to be in her early 80's, tops.

·
17,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nice way to start the day - thanks for sharing. those cymbals looked like they had a tough life
Old-school thin crash cymbals. Paper thins.
I mean you can literally flex the edges by pinching 'em between 2 fingers.
So thin they couldn't even support their own weight after a time, pretty common back then.
I love the double tom-toms each side of her head too. Very unique.

·
17,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh...the saxes...um...yeah.

Good guess on the Altos, 'Phones. One has left bellkeys, the other right. At around 4:40 I say the left one (on the left) is actually Boosh, as I see the view of the table.
The right one could very well be a Selmer, yeah...

The Tenors, opp-side bellkeys as noted. From their necks they appear to be the same model, both of 'em (?)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,920 Posts
Oh...the saxes...um...yeah.

Good guess on the Altos, 'Phones. One has left bellkeys, the other right. At around 4:40 I say the left one (on the left) is actually Boosh, as I see the view of the table.
The right one could very well be a Selmer, yeah...

The Tenors, opp-side bellkeys as noted. From their necks they appear to be the same model, both of 'em (?)
Great video! Wow those girls were really playing well. Would be nice to see something like that this day and age.
Good luck on this name the sax challenge. Sheesh even with my glasses on it’s hard to see.
I even tried to cheat. Look at this video @ 3:08 you may get 5 seconds of value on the tenor
info.

Reactions: JayeLID

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Great video! Wow those girls were really playing well. Would be nice to see something like that this day and age.
Good luck on this name the sax challenge. Sheesh even with my glasses on it’s hard to see.
I even tried to cheat. Look at this video @ 3:08 you may get 5 seconds of value on the tenor
info.
Well, we have these ladies....

·
17,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Cool group, killer players for sure, but.....

"Serious Jazz"

As I get older, I have come to appreciate the old-school showmanship of the bygone days actually (something I used to poo-poo as a younger player). "Fun Jazz" for the masses, if you will.

This has sorta been a bit re-born in this century, a new interest/popularity/appreciation for it. Which is cool, methinks.

Interesting thing about The Coquettes...they weren't playing covers, there.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
A better look at the sax. Kind of looks like a Buescher with that ridge on the bow but I’m no expert on that kind of thing
Martin Typewriter! All pearled keys - NO rollers. Made 1928-'31 and called the "Master" model.
Supposedly the pearls were so placed as to insure perfect leverage on every key. But leverage ain't everything.

They are great sounding instruments and surprisingly playable, altho the springing is light in some places and heavy in others. I own four of them (SATB).

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I knew somebody here would know. I kept looking at the side keys trying to decide if those were pearls or just the way the light was catching it.

·
17,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A better look at the sax. Kind of looks like a Buescher with that ridge on the bow but I’m no expert on that kind of thing
Man, NICE work on digging THAT image up !!!!

Martin Typewriter! All pearled keys - NO rollers. Made 1928-'31 and called the "Master" model.
Supposedly the pearls were so placed as to insure perfect leverage on every key. But leverage ain't everything.
They are great sounding instruments and surprisingly playable, altho the springing is light in some places and heavy in others. I own four of them (SATB).
You get the prize ! Good eye !!!

So, a pair of Martin Typewriter Tenors, a Boosh alto, a Selmer BA alto....and then what about the Baritone...still up in the air ?

Or is Sacks' eye correct ?

·
17,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Viola Smith...Rosalie Martin.....

Tell me anyone had heard of these players before now..... a bit sad, methinks...

...and Viola, from the interview, clearly was acquainted with the biggies during her life....Buddy Rich, Louis Bellson, etc...

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Man, NICE work on digging THAT image up !!!!

You get the prize ! Good eye !!!

So, a pair of Martin Typewriter Tenors, a Boosh alto, a Selmer BA alto....and then what about the Baritone...still up in the air ?

Or is Sacks' eye correct ?
Well, I did see that additional photo before it was posted here as I Googled the band. I agree on the Martin. Is that the same horn(s) as in the video?

How come there is no info on Frances Carrol on the web? No wiki, no nothing. I was hoping to see a DOD or something. The form-fitting dress got me.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts