Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tranechaser, with his Selmer Family Portrait, motivated me to do what I've been wanting to do for a while with my Buffets.

View attachment 225934

From Left to right, an early 1940s 7xx SA/Series 7 Alto, an unfortunate relac and in need of an overhaul. 1956 44xx Dynaction Alto, original finish and original parabolic resonators. 1956 46xx Dynaction Alto, original Finish, non original domed resonators, this thing can play! Circa 1951 22xx Dynation Tenor, Original finish, Original parabolic resonators. 1979 29xxx S1 Tenor, Original finish, a joy to play!

All of my Dynactions are original finish, the 44xx alto has just aged differently and looks much darker.

Even though both Dynactions are from 1956, the 46xx is close to the start of the SDA run and has some subtle differences from the 44xx; the necks are not interchangeable (46xx is a slightly larger diameter) and the left-hand palm keys are slightly different.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the kind words! Someday, I hope to add a Buffet Soprano and Bari to my collection.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
thanks for sharing. the sda brace seems so much more solid than the s1.
Interesting comment as there are no SDA's or s1's in the pic.

That being said (as a former owner of 2 SDA altos and a SDA low A bari of 26 years), that SDA bell to body brace may be fine for altos and even tenors, but as it is exactly the same brace across the board for all 3 (sopranos didn't need it), it was way too small for the bell weight of the bari, and would constantly break, even when lots of time and a proper fix was made, it wouldn't last until a different type was made and used.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting comment as there are no SDA's or s1's in the pic.
The Tenor on the right is an S1, and the alto on the left has the original vertical version of the body-to-bell brace from the 1940s that Buffet was replicating on the S1 horns, albeit rotated 90 degrees.

I'm guessing that Manitou is speaking on personal experience with and SDA.

I wouldn't mind getting an SDA tenor though :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Absolutely beautiful "family". Thank you for posting, these are wonderful instruments!
Thanks, Uwe, I actually need to take an updated picture with my Series 8 Tenor added to the lineup before I sell it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
...was looking for some information in the forum and found this thread.
And couldn´t resist to post my Buffet of Buffets :)
From left to right: a Bass from the early times, then the Bariton with low A (thanks to Charles Gray for selling me this treasure!) to the Soprano are all SDA´s (is there another SDA-Quartet outside in the world?)
The altos the front are both SDA/S1 hybrids. one with high F# and the other one is without high F#

View attachment 246300

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wonderful Buffets Buffetscherl! My goal is to eventually get a Buffet Bari and Soprano for my collection!

·
3,209 Posts
...was looking for some information in the forum and found this thread.
And couldn´t resist to post my Buffet of Buffets :)
From left to right: a Bass from the early times, then the Bariton with low A (thanks to Charles Gray for selling me this treasure!) to the Soprano are all SDA´s (is there another SDA-Quartet outside in the world?)
The altos the front are both SDA/S1 hybrids. one with high F# and the other one is without high F#

View attachment 246300
HA - thats my old Bari! Recognize the brace as I had to make something stronger because the OEM one kept braking. Is this who I sold it too?

·
3,209 Posts
Yes it is :)
Glad to see it's in good company. There are times I miss that horn. You did well. Continue to take care of her!! Keep in mind that horn played for Sigurd Rascher, The West Point Band, Jay Black (from J and the Americans), Denny Green (Sha Na Na), and countless others.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you consider the old Evette-Schaeffers as part of the Buffet line/collection?
Paul Cohen
Yes! They were the main-line Buffet Saxophones at the time. However, the 1950's-to-Whenever Santoni and Asian made Evette's are a different story and I would not count them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts