Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a Buescher TT (SN 167,XXX) for about $215, no front F, in good shape! Shall I jump on it? I need to know fast!!!

EDIT: Silver plate, only a ding or two here and there, and some solder work on the neck.

EDIT II: Oh, and can a front F be added later?

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
Buy It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought a 6M for $250 a few years back; it's not pretty, and it needed work, but it's a great player and I've never regretted it for a second.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, the pressure's off for just a little while, but I haven't bought it yet.

I'm just a little concerned about the front F. Is this a big problem, not having one, I mean? I hope I could get one added...

Oh, and I'm just sporadic like that. You'll get used to it! :)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
How often do you use front F?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A fair bit. F arpeggio, altissimo F# and G...? Probably as much as anyone.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
I own a sop without one. I practice up to c4, but a3 is more of the 'practical' range.

I'm sure that fingerings can be found that would work on an alto.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,110 Posts
I occasionally play a 166k T-T alto without front F. Don't recall any big problems with altissimo.

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
I have a true tone without the front "F", but the catch is the horn was bought for marching band, and now I am restoring it, and giving to my friend Justin for Marching Band. I am sure that JandJwoodwind.com could probably add one for you. It would probably be cheaper than going on saxquest.com.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What alternate fingerings do you use for F, F#, and G, then? And that arpeggio...?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,005 Posts
TT's are a dime a dozen (altos, at least; if it's a tenor, then it's a bargain). There will always be another for sale next week, or perhaps next hour. Hold out for a later one if you're thinking of adding a front F. They don't go for that much more.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts