Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Alto, C-mel, Saxie
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Joseph-Pol...495216?hash=item4b64407d70:g:3q8AAOSwFD1c13-T

I found this odd horn while looking at old saxophones on eBay and suspect it's a Buescher stencil. That's definitely a TrueTone neck -- though my heart breaks for what was done to it --, and the fin on the bow is identical to the one on my own TrueTone, but I've never heard of Joseph Polivka before. Can anyone shed some light on this?

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
Looks like a Buescher C melody, Polivka is probably the name of a music store that ordered a dozen or so of these with their name on - like was commonly done in the 1920s. The neck could in theory be repaired, but by the time you turned that horn into something playable, you would have spent more than the cost of a good one ready to go out of the box.

Sometimes it's not worth rescuing things.

·
Registered
Alto, C-mel, Saxie
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did a little poking around and came up with a possible lead; there was a musical instrument repairman in Allentown, PA named Joseph Polivka. It's possible that he sold instruments as well, though probably not too many since this isn't one of the better-known Buescher stencils.

It's a shame this horn is in such bad shape. It's an interesting piece, but it will probably end up as a lamp at this rate.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts