Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last year or two I've done more r&b tenor playing (which is seriously fun, by the way), so I naturally find myself listening to more Maceo Parker and King Curtis. And so I searched, and we haven't had a "brand name players" thread about the King since 2008, and even that one was more about folks like King Curtis.

For anyone who hasn't really listened to King Curtis.... do. Today. Now. This guy is to rock and blues sax what coltrane is to jazz sax. Revolutionary. Monsterous.

Even if you never ever play a blues tune (com'on, really?) his absolute command of the horn was enviable. And his comittment to his lines and groove is total and unquestioning.

Personally, I'm completely digging his "Blues at Montreaux" disk with Champion Jack Dupree right now. But "Live at Fillmore" and "Sweet Soul" are also within reach.

Facebook doesn't even have a "King Curtis" fan club..... sad sad state of the world.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,345 Posts
In the last year or two I've done more r&b tenor playing (which is seriously fun, by the way), so I naturally find myself listening to more Maceo Parker and King Curtis. And so I searched, and we haven't had a "brand name players" thread about the King since 2008, and even that one was more about folks like King Curtis.

For anyone who hasn't really listened to King Curtis.... do. Today. Now. This guy is to rock and blues sax what coltrane is to jazz sax. Revolutionary. Monsterous.

Even if you never ever play a blues tune (com'on, really?) his absolute command of the horn was enviable. And his comittment to his lines and groove is total and unquestioning.

Personally, I'm completely digging his "Blues at Montreaux" disk with Champion Jack Dupree right now. But "Live at Fillmore" and "Sweet Soul" are also within reach.

Facebook doesn't even have a "King Curtis" fan club..... sad sad state of the world.
Here Here!!!!

Soul Serenade is one of my favorites :D

Maybe I'll start the facebook page!

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
6,571 Posts
Maybe when I get a working tenor I can finally try to approach this :crybaby:

Love his sound!

·
4,345 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts

For anyone who hasn't really listened to King Curtis.... do. Today. Now. This guy is to rock and blues sax what coltrane is to jazz sax. Revolutionary. Monsterous. ..."
Here Here!!!!
Heavy on the "Here, Here !!!!"

Blues at Montreaux, Live at Fillmore, and Great Memphis Hits are all excellent albums, but I will always remember King Curtis best for a string of solos on hit singles when I was growing up. I think he and Junior Walker had an incredible influence on my generation - more so than the jazz greats that we also understandably honor.

It's hard to imagine what might have happened if King Curtis had the longevity of a Sonny Rollins, but the King was stabbed to death at age 37.

CURTIS OUSLEY, aka KING CURTIS
1934 - 1971

Thanks, and RIP.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,226 Posts
There used to be a killer vid on youtube of Champion Jack and King Curtis at Montreaux, but it doesn't seem to be there now. Absolutely the best video of King Curtis. It blew me away when I first saw it.

+1 on everything you said about King Curtis.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,226 Posts
Found the url to the vid in an old King Curtis thread on SOTW but youtube says "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by WMG."

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
752 Posts
That's why he is the King!!! I listen to the old King Curtis recordings almost daily. The "Slim's Shout" is one of my favorites. He also has some great stuff on "The Honeydripper" by Roosevelt Sikes. Also, Eddie Kirkland, "The Blues Man". These are all a real gas to (try to) play along with.

If I could ever play like the King, I could die a happy man. :D:D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,249 Posts

·
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah, you guys are making me happy today. I just downloaded Slim's Shout and am LOVING it. Links to more where he's a featured sideman is AWESOME. Keep it coming. Slim's Shout ROCKS......

·
4,345 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
8,948 Posts
King Curtis was and still is one of my all time favorites. Whether it was standards, blues or rock 'n' roll his tone, technique and interpretation was always top-notch.

If I was on facebook, I'd join the club.

Notes

·
Registered
207 Posts
Wow 9 members already!! Lets get some content up there and spread the word !!
Ah well, for now ain't nobody here but us SOTW chickens...but i'll spread the word. From my experience all of my friends ("normal" people, non-musicians...) dig King Curtis, but they don't have idea who he is. I'm really going to change this once for all.

·
SOTW Interviews/Editor, Distinguished SOTW Member,
1,205 Posts

·
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Neil -- I didn't find those threads, but looking in "Rock and Roll" versus just "Brand name" would have been a good thought. Much appreciated, good info.

·
SOTW Interviews/Editor, Distinguished SOTW Member,
1,205 Posts
Thanks MyMartinTenor!

King Curtis was a primary influence for a generation of saxophonists. In his interview for SOTW, the great Jon Smith specifically mentioned the solos King Curtis did with the Coasters and the pleasure of finally seeing him live...

"King Curtis is another great example. The sessions he did with The Coasters were one of my favorite records. In '62, I was touring in the Northeast and saw him with 'The King Pins', featuring Cornell Dupree, Bernard Purdy and Billy Preston on keyboards
[e.g. "Soul Twist" http://www.saxontheweb.net/Rock_n_Roll/Videos/King-Curtis.html].

What a monster player! He had a big influence on me. With the Coaster records, he had that unique style..."

http://www.saxontheweb.net/Rock_n_Roll/Jon-Smith-1.html

I tried to find a better video for "Memphis Stew" but without success. However, I did come across this version done by Johnny Ferreira, who also did an interview for SOTW a while back.

http://www.saxontheweb.net/Rock_n_Roll/JohnnyFerreira1.html

1 - 20 of 23 Posts