Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years I have been looking for a mouthpiece and reed combination to produce a really bossy sound and one that stand out. I could use some help. I have tried a Berg Larson with a Vandoren 2.5, but I think that was a mistake.Can someone help me?

Thanks

·
Registered
711 Posts
Not sure what a bossy sound is. WHo are your influences? Are we talking tenor? Alto?

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
For years I have been looking for a mouthpiece and reed combination to produce a really bossy sound and one that stand out. I could use some help. I have tried a Berg Larson with a Vandoren 2.5, but I think that was a mistake.Can someone help me?

Thanks
You want a boss sound?

Here's a boss sound.

·
Banned
2,991 Posts
One that pushes you around, takes charge, lets you know who's boss(y). A sound on steroids ... and rude. A real chick magnet of a sound.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Are you talking about the sound Mrs Toot just made when she realised i was on SOTW?

But seriously: Gene Ammons is a good call (i think). Lots of listening and playing along. I'm not sure it's to do with gear that much, more inflection, projection, riffy playing (maybe ??) etc etc. What sort of Berg are you using?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
that's BossA Nova not BossY Nova!!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Perhaps you should check out recordings of Clarence Clemmons. Who best to demonstrate the "Bossy" sound than the guy who played for "The Boss"?

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,037 Posts
Bossy. A new term for sotw. Add it to bright, dark and so many others that do not really translate universally.

B

1 - 9 of 9 Posts