Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..is an Alexandre.

Picked this horn up about a month ago for a whopping $75. I had no idea what it was until posting about it here. That's fun.

Anyways, I just got it back from the shop. It needed $150 of work, so I am $225 into this horn.

Holy. Crap.

It plays so freakin' amazingly.

Yeah, it's a stencil made "before Borgani cared about horns and made student models blahblahblah." Holy crap, it plays.

I have to say that joining the collective, even if by a secondary route, is great fun. Punchy, raw, yet defined. Reminds me of an SML or even a SDA, but with a side of Conn tossed in. This makes a marvelous addition to my stable.

Photos to come soon.
Cheers!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
..is an Alexandre...

Holy. Crap.

It plays so freakin' amazingly.

Yeah, it's a stencil made "before Borgani cared about horns and made student models blahblahblah." Holy crap, it plays.

I have to say that joining the collective, even if by a secondary route, is great fun. Punchy, raw, yet defined. Reminds me of an SML or even a SDA, but with a side of Conn tossed in. This makes a marvelous addition to my stable.

Photos to come soon.
Cheers!
It seems that Borgani had their tonal concept together from a very early time - meaning that, even if some horns had questionable intonation or a simplistic mechanism, the bore was there. I do love the sound of my Borganis.

Looking forward to learning more about these distant relatives.

Cheers!

·
Registered
422 Posts
It seems that Borgani had their tonal concept together from a very early time - meaning that, even if some horns had questionable intonation or a simplistic mechanism, the bore was there.
Cheers!
They did change the bore design, or? Older vs. newer Borganis even look different in terms of bore/neck angles and dimensions.

Anyway, that's a great deal!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
They did change the bore design, or? Older vs. newer Borganis even look different in terms of bore/neck angles and dimensions.

Anyway, that's a great deal!
Even new Borgani tenors look different from new Borgani tenors - there are two different geometries in current production. The new model (designated OBT) has a smaller bell flare and smaller tenon ID than the earlier Jubilee with Jxxxx serial number. How do I know? Hah! That’s my two tenors!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took the Alexandre to a weekly jam last night and realized something.

It's so...tiny.

It sounds amazing - husky, solid, and huge. But the horn itself feels...small. My hands feel like they are twice the size they have to be for the horn. I am used to a Conn 6m and my Yamaha bari, but it is a very odd transition.

Crazy nimble, intonation is spot on for me, but I don't know if I will be able to get used to the size of the key layout.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts