Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That puts a B2 on tenor saxophone at 440 Hz right? B1 is then at 220Hz... Okay, if I am an octave off then B1 is 110.

Seems to me, big bass speakers (>10 inches) wouldn't be necessary to amplify/mic a sax alone, right?

The reason I ask is that I just bought a Yamaha MSR100, and I have some reservations (buyer's remorse). I guess I'll know when it gets here and I hook it up, eh?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,206 Posts
The specs for the MSR 100 have the bass response at 55Hz, which is plenty low enough for tenor sax. (Great C-the lowest string on the cello-is around 63HZ).

The eight inch driver for the woofer is probably mounted in a bass reflex configuration, which significantly extends the bass response. So, oftentimes it's not the size of the driver, but how it's mounted.

My EAW studio monitors have 8" drivers in a well designed cabinet. The bass response for them is rated at 40Hz. (I've measured and confirmed this with tones and an spl meter).

It should work fine.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
'Preesh, Hakukani!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Be careful with following the frequency response charts provided by manufacturers -

Know that these charts mean NOTHING. They are merely representative of how the product will pass a single sine wave through the system - and being as saxophones don't produce only single sine waves, these manufacturer references mean nothing in your situation. Test tones in general mean nothing since audio is not just a test tone, but rather very complex wave patterns.

Seek out retail stores that have studio monitors available for listening - and use your ears to find something suitable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts