Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
For classical i think they are very even! It just depends on your personal opinion and what mouthpiece you are using.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm using a vandoren A28 but i can change :)
yesterday i've tried a 875 Golp plated and one Silver plated , but i like also yanagisawa,
i'll go to a shop to try them but i want some opinions

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
There seem to be a lot of professional classical musicians playing Yamaha 875s, like Eugene Rousseau, Claude Delangle etc but hardly any I've seen on the Yani 992s..

But then it could be my ignorance.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rousseau and Formeau play 875, but Delangle play Selmer Serie III, but they have a Gold Plated(very expensive, but the best)
yamaha are more famous than Yanagisawa

·
723 Posts
Rousseau and Formeau play 875, but Delangle play Selmer Serie III, but they have a Gold Plated(very expensive, but the best)
yamaha are more famous than Yanagisawa
You are probably right about Delangle. So does anyone play a 992 in the classical world?

·
723 Posts
no, but i don't like Selmer and i've tried only yamaha.
what do you think about yanagisawa?
I have a 82Z and 901 tenor, but they both pale in comparison to my Selmer Mk 6...

Yanagisawa is a very good brand of saxophones for sure, especially their sopranos and baritones IMHO

On the other hand, I am not much of a classical player, or a jazz player, or a pop player, or ...

·
723 Posts
what mouthpiece do you use?
Unfortunately, I'm one of those guys who has a few mpcs and keeps switching around.

I don't play much alto, more soprano and tenor. I've just bought and am waiting for an Optimum SL4 mouthpiece for my soprano, so I'm exploring going towards a more classical sound on that for now.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,446 Posts
If you are a careful horn-handler, the Yanagisawa case should suffice. I use them for two of my three Yanagisawa soprano saxophones. But I had an unfortunate incident several tears ago when I foolishly handed off my Yanagisawa SC902 to a hotel baggage handler and when the horn and other luggage got to my room, the bell was bent. I must assume he placed heavy bags on top of it and the case failed to handle the weight. Just a thought . . . DAVE

·
Registered
109 Posts
I played on an 875EX all through college. It played great, very nice ergos and feel and was got a nice warm classical tone... I haven't played on the Yani but a few people in my studio swore by them. In all honesty, both horns are great and will do what you ask of them, it's really a matter of personal preference. The best thing to do is try as many as you can and pick which one you like best.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Some would say the 82z is a tad brighter than the 875 or 992..I have seen them used with great success in a classical setting. Honestly, with these horns it isn't so much a case of which one is "better" but rather which one is best for the user...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a Selmer Ref 54 tenor and a Yani 992 alto.
Overall, I like everything about the 992 better (build, ergonomics, sound).
For some reasons, the Yanis do not seem to get ther respect they deserve.
Yes, I know you cannot compare tenors to altos-that said, the Yani 992 is the finest horn I have ever played.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.