Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Impressive indeed. Sounds like a typical but cultured classical sax tone to me. So many of us slum with jazz, blues, rock and funk that we forget it was originally designed to be a classical instrument. I, for one, dearly hope she steps past her handlers and begins to improvise.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
A few observations:

1. It's always great to see a saxophone prodigy, because in general, I don't think our instrument gets its fair share of these students. Most of the super-talented, precocious musicians gravitate to violin and/or piano, to say nothing of the even rarer true musical geniuses. Hopefully, this girl will stick with the saxophone and keep it as her primary instrument.

2. Carina Rascher also started on the curved soprano as a very young girl. She ended up specializing on it for her entire career. Maybe this approach to saxophone pedagogy should be more broadly applied, instead of the standard, "Kids start on alto, and that means you can't start until you're big enough to handle an alto." Forcing students to wait can mean redirecting them to other instruments (see comment 1).

3. The horn is a Yanagisawa, of course.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
870 Posts
Wow.... - Is she going to be on Russia's Got Talent?

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Wow.... - Is she going to be on Russia's Got Talent?
I am not watching russian TV on regular basis... my brother does. And he introduced me this girl from the Russian Kids contest "Syniya Ptitca" (Blue Bird).
I am watching interesting musical shows and there is no Russia's Got Talent (there is Voice Kids and Adults, however).

So here is her number at 2016 Final Blue Bird. Worth to watch.

She won this contest with the boy playing bayan (russian instrument, that is popular in folk and there is real "Russian school" of it with generation of Masters).
There were tenth of extremely talented kids in different genres. I watched whole 3 hours final. No comments...

post of goldenskyhook:
Impressive indeed. Sounds like a typical but cultured classical sax tone to me. So many of us slum with jazz, blues, rock and funk that we forget it was originally designed to be a classical instrument. I, for one, dearly hope she steps past her handlers and begins to improvise.

there are clips of this year (so she is older :) ). Sure she improvising absolutely tasty.

I am really glad to see the reaction of all who participated here... when initially posted didn't expect this.

Classical training... Large repertoire. Never saw her playing from the score... beside one clip when she plays her composition (sax and piano).
I listened without a breath...

Also she sings, plays violin and piano and on one clip she does acrobatic tricks :).

As many said - amazing!

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,217 Posts
I am not watching russian TV on regular basis... my brother does. And he introduced me this girl from the Russian Kids contest "Syniya Ptitca" (Blue Bird).
I am watching interesting musical shows and there is no Russia's Got Talent (there is Voice Kids and Adults, however).

So here is her number at 2016 Final Blue Bird. Worth to watch.

Holy crap!! And that young man with the accordion is something else as well! They'd go a long way on America's Got Talent.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Year 2018 the same contest. She is invited as a guest.
Plays with TOP Russian Chamber orchestra "Moscow soloists" (with Yuri Bashmet - BIG persona!)

Polka - Alfred Schnittke:

I am crying :) (really).

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
just found Sofia plays with the "punum" Elisey and another girl.
The tune is written by Elisey. He composes daily... This tune called "Mandarin" and is played by Russian musicians. The boy received Author's rights for this tune.
The concert is in the Chaikovsky hall in Moscow.

I just feel it so musical and even inspiring for old "uncles"... how kids can naturally play based on pure talent and some force from the "above"...

21 - 30 of 30 Posts