Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's from Russian Kid's contest...
There are things on tube that she does with circular breathing... and here she plays with known Russian pianist Denis Matsuev, he was pretty amazed with her talent.
What is interesting that interviewer asks her about her town. And it's some pretty unknown small town (I didn't hear about it for my whole life). And interviewer was surprised about this far away place.

It's not a piano... who is her teacher in this rural area? she started sax at age 5. There are tons of "crazy" talented kids on tube but girl on sax with this "violin" sound.
She plays jazz too.
I found it very interesting.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I watched the one where she plays Vivaldi's "Storm". Wow is right. The tonguing technique is amazing. She's a real prodigy.

I had to look up punum. Is that Yiddish?

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TOP DEFINITION
punum
Hebrew for "face", usually expressed with affection.
Aw, what a punum! Only a mother could love!
#face#smirk#yiddish#mug#grin
by Jeff-ro September 21, 2006

Punum
Being cup-cake-like, very cute, and "aww" worthy.
"Aww, what a punum!"
by Erin/Laura May 30, 2003

I don't speak iddish, but speak Hebrew :)... and the word "panIm" means face (probably in iddish too).

Personally, I took PUNUM from Dr. Evil... :) when he says toward mini-me: "Look at this PUNUM".
So, the kiddy on piano is kind of mini but it's because of his age. Sure he will be a beautiful MAN.

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
This was fantastic! Beautifully expressive and unbelievable to imagine she’s only nine years old. I love this stuff!
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
:love2:

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so let me finish on that kiddy-mature stuff...

here is the link to 5/4... she is with Denis Matsuev .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPh3_ujUhjA

I was on his solo piano concert in Maison Symphonique de Montreal last fall. Incredible pianist. Yeehh he is in top list of world classical pianists.

But at the end after non stop ovation he played some jazz... I will not use words...

So back to the girl topic... Today I watched ton of clips with her. She plays with the best orchestras and musicians... Real natural pleasure to listen her.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Love it! I also think it is very cute that the size of the soprano compared to her body is about the size of an alto compared to an adult body. It’s perfect for her, like a 1/2 size violin.

Bravo again!

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2017
687 Posts
Holy Cow Batman!

Thanks for the heads-up,
Kenneth

·
Registered
166 Posts
And also I was and I'm impressed.
Unusual music feeling, beautiful phrasing and technique, and what will it be in the next few years with this young Lady Sofiya?
In spite of classical, she also know how to play jazz, here a beautiful performance of "Summertime" (very much in the style I like):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1Mqz1RzxVo

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,025 Posts
My gosh, she's good! Those performances hold the promise of a long and illustrious career. Thanks for sharing them!

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can't stop loving her...

here she is with big Russian guys... on soprano Igor Butman... just fun clip. In second part they rehears together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vg_V8DDDCI

no Russian propaganda here :) ... we are talking SAX right ... Just to have an idea who Igor is:

Career
In 1983, Butman played in Oleg Lundstrem`s big band. In 1984, he was invited by Nick Levinovsky to join the jazz group "Allegro" and played with them for three years.

Move to the United States
After Butman immigrated to America in 1987, he went on to major in Performance and Composition at Berklee College of Music in Massachusetts. While still in the U.S.S.R., Butman was invited to play with touring American musicians, including Dave Brubeck, Chick Corea, Pat Metheny, Gary Burton, Louis Bellson and Grover Washington Jr.. Butman appeared as Grover's special guest in concerts at Chautauqua, New York, the Berklee Center in Boston and at Great Woods Center in Mansfield, Massachusetts. He is featured on Grover Washington Jr.'s Columbia release Then and Now (1988) soloing on "Stolen Moments", "Stella By Starlight" and Butman's own composition "French Connections".

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 30 Posts