Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are now starting the Holiday Season, so I thought now would be a good time as the founder of the Hudson Valley Saxophone Orchestra, I would let you know about this year's annual performance on December 21st, at 1pm in Poughkeepsie, NY (half way between NYC and Albany on the Hudson River)

Specific location is at Revel 32 on 32 Cannon St, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601 or www.revel32.com (note when I checked the link it was slightly off - so if you plan on coming it is between and behind the Bardavon and Social Security buildings on Cannon St. It's the old Masonic Hall.)

Besides our conductor William Stevens, the HVSO has 2 Sopranos (Dr. Paul Cohen and Eric Aweh), 4 Altos (Dr. Brian Kauth, Dr. Christopher Brellochs, Jason Clinton, and Lois Hicks-Wozniak), 2 Tenors (Joesph North and Darryl Schoonmaker), 2 Baritones (Alix Janove and Brad Hubbard), 1 Bass (myself, Charles Gray), and 1 Contrabass (Patrick Quinn playing Paul Cohen's Contra). You might know some of these names as they are all outstanding players. We have had several players over the years and this one is no exception.

The concert is designed to have that holiday flair yet give you a break from that normal tired music you hear constantly this time of year on the radio. If you can't be with us, I hope you would consider helping donate to our mission as all performers play for free, and we take the proceeds from the $5 suggested donation entrance fee, and put it towards local music scholarships. One way to do that is by purchasing our full length Cd as an MP3 online called "It's That Time Again" here - https://www.amazon.com/Again-Hudson...dson+Orchestra&qid=1573925484&s=dmusic&sr=1-7

The goal is to have an entertaining break from the busy holiday rush that the whole family can enjoy.

Audience members who play saxophone (to an adequate level) are welcome to join us for our final selections, we only ask that you bring a folding music stand for yourself. Music will be provided to those who want to look at it before on our webpage at www.HudsonValleySaxophoneOrchestra.com . They should appear there soon. Please be aware that no 1st soprano or 1st alto parts will be provided and if you play tenor, be kind and be prepared to play either 1st or 2nd (just don't want 20 firsts and no 2nd's).

Some of the other things I am hoping to do new this year is make a "Go Fund Me" so people can donate towards the cause even if they cannot attend the concert. That can be done here: Link to Follow

Also I hope for the first time ever to do a live stream of the concert on YouTube. This is a first for me thus I am going to be taking a bunch of trial runs and such before the actual concert. I will post the YouTube link here and on our Facebook page here:https://www.facebook.com/HudsonValleySaxophoneOrchestra . Until then, you can see a sample below. Thanks/

·
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try it again - I might of been editing when you tried. Please let me know if it doesn't work again

·
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just wanted to remind people of this event as I last posted about it about a month ago. I am pretty sure we got the live stream thing figured out, but I do want to encourage anybody who lives to far to come to our concert, to donate to out "Go Fund Me" as 100% of the proceeds go towards Hudson Valley Scholarships. The link is in post #5 (just above this one).

Thanks
Charles

·
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here is a flyer

2019 HVSO Saxmas-page-001.jpg

·
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Sax Historian
474 Posts
One of the features of the concert will be the Eppelsheim Eb Contrabass saxophone, played here by Pat Quinn.
It is a sonic spectacular that is felt as much as heard. The contrabass plays on all the pieces on the concert and with plenty of low A's!
It is pictured with the just acquired custom-made SaxRax stand.
Paul Cohen

Eb Contra SaxRax IV.jpg Eb Contra SaxRax II.jpg

·
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,461 Posts
I'm listening to your holiday CD as I type, having gotten my ornaments on the tree (my fiancée is a bit slower and is still at it). It's been in the holiday rotation since I got it some years ago. Thanks Charlie, and a Merry One to you and yours.

·
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Back at ya!! Check out the live stream! Bari Sax Guy from here (Glenn) was there and I got to meet him and his wife. Nice people!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts