Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
No idea, horn prices are crazy in UK and USA--BUT these 880's are keepers-- great players-- as good as anything out there!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
I got mine about 8 years ago off of eBay and paid $850. It played great but a lot of lacquer was missing so I don't know how much that affected the price.

PS - Try not to post the same message in multiple subforums.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,450 Posts
looking over the past few days as an A880 owner, I have found that the market for these horns is hard to place. I haven't seen one on ebay for some months and there's only been a few listed on this site in the past few years, with a couple of WTBs listed. On various forums, it appears that buyers and sellers have a hard time reaching an accord on these, for whatever reason (timing, price, etc) I think there is some credence to Bopity's claim that they are generally "keepers" since they are not a high circulation item.

A somewhat interesting comment surrounding these particular instruments is that they were the "best Mark VI ever made", given in reference to their provenance of being a well-engineered Selmer Mark VI copy. That statement may be laying it on a little thick, however.

What I've seen is a gold lacquered instrument fail to sell at around $1000 on this site a couple years ago and some claiming to be sold at much higher prices either on site or through ebay. Personally, I would place a "Mint" A880 value at $1300-$1400 through internet personal sale and $1600 in-person/craigslist value. Retail, as always, will be higher.

This is my opinion as someone who just tries to watch the market. "Value" can be a very liquid thing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
I can't remember what I said before -- $1200?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts