Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure which one to go for, I know one needs to play both to make judgement as I have read on the board many times but my problem is that there are non available for me to try on this little island that I live on:(

I will have to order it from the one and only local agent (who will not stock anything but student models) so I can have any of the models. I narrowed it down to either the unlacquered 82Z without the high F or the lacquered 875EX (no choice to delete the high F), how about the difference in necks, the 82 is supplied with the G1 and the 875 with a G3?

Difficult one this but I would be very grateful for any advice and opinions regarding this to help me choose between the 2 as I havent' got a clue:)

Sorry forgot to mention that I'm referring to tenors above.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know this doesn't help much but i have owned both and like them equally as much. I am actually making the same decision this week as I am looking for a back up to my Ref54. They both have the best ergos and QC in the industry, IMHO. I am leaning towards the 82Z again due to it's tone and lighter feel. Either one you choose, after you make your decision, don't look back.

shane

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In your opinion shane is the Z darker, leaning more towards a vintage tone or is the EX better in this department?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yanis

Have you considered a Yanagisawa? I tried the 82z, 875EX, 62II, Yani 991&992 ALTOs this weekend. I thought that the Yanis blew the Yamahas out of the water, in intonation, tone and response. Oh yeah, these were ALTO saxophones. Tenors are different, but I would definitely consider them if you're in the market for a Japanese new horn. The Yani 991 series matches up well price-wise to the 82z and 875ex.

Again, a word of caution since I played altos this weekend, but go into the Yani forum for a while and I think you'll find that a lot of really good players also like Yanagisawas, and they should be comparable in price.

But the 82z and 875ex I played were all great horns! Just not for me FWIW.

Note: I walked out of the store with a used Selmer SA80II. Was comparable in price, and had been well set up there. Tone beat out the Japanese horns by miles, even if the intonation wasn't as PERFECT as the yanis (you play a scale, the needle stays still). The other SA80II that I tried was a dog though, just a precautionary tale.

·
Registered
257 Posts
82z / 875ex

I've owned and played a Silver Plate 82Z alto. I really enjoyed its response, free blowingness and general "zing" when I played it. However....It was just to bright for me particularly in the upper range. I had been playing Yamahas for about 25 years before that point. I think you need to figure out what type of music you like and will be performing. That brightness might be just what you're looking for.

I've also owned a Buescher Big B alto and I've got to say its tone was very different than a Custom Z. The B was darker and sweeter sounding. I also went through some other horns but have now found the perfect mix with a '68 MKVI Alto.

I've gathered the EX is darker sounding and geared more for the "Classical realm" but obviously that's up to you and mouthpiece and your own personal tonal concept.
I haven't played a Custom Yamaha alto, Ive tried an older Custom Tenor that was very nice.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
...how about the difference in necks, the 82 is supplied with the G1 and the 875 with a G3?
It was my understanding that BOTH are supplied with a custom G1 neck, so the necks are the same (or as close as a handmade product can be). That being said, both are great horns, and both can be made to play in whatever style you wish. The Z has some nice features such as being able to adjust just about any key you want to get the best intonation, which the EX does not have. I won't get into the debate about the High F# key, because I honestly don't know if it makes a difference, nor do I care. No matter which way you go, I think you will be happy with your choice.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A vintage somewhat dark sound is what I'm realy looking for and looks like the Yamaha's may not be up to the task??

Problem is, this is the only store which stocks or can order saxophones here, if I go for another brand I have to import it myself and will be my sole responsibility with no guarantees or warranty from a supplier. I would realy like a Selmer Reference but......

By the way ianhart, the new EX as per the spec is advertised as supplied a G3 neck, could be a misprint, I don't know.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
ianhart said:
It was my understanding that BOTH are supplied with a custom G1 neck, so the necks are the same (or as close as a handmade product can be). That being said, both are great horns, and both can be made to play in whatever style you wish. The Z has some nice features such as being able to adjust just about any key you want to get the best intonation, which the EX does not have. I won't get into the debate about the High F# key, because I honestly don't know if it makes a difference, nor do I care. No matter which way you go, I think you will be happy with your choice.
I believe that the 875EX tenor now comes with the G3 neck. The altos still all come with the G1. I playtested both the 82Z and 875EX tenors at Sam Ash some months ago, and if I were blindfolded, could probably not have told you which horn I was playing. Both felt great under the fingers, and if I were picking one, I probably would have gone with the Z and saved some money. But I've since gone in a vintage direction.

·
Registered
599 Posts
HenryN said:
A vintage somewhat dark sound is what I'm realy looking for and looks like the Yamaha's may not be up to the task??

Problem is, this is the only store which stocks or can order saxophones here, if I go for another brand I have to import it myself and will be my sole responsibility with no guarantees or warranty from a supplier. I would realy like a Selmer Reference but......

By the way ianhart, the new EX as per the spec is advertised as supplied a G3 neck, could be a misprint, I don't know.

The Selmer Reference that I played was extremely similar to the 82z that I played (and now own). Personally, both of them had that lyrical sort of feel to them. I think the Reference was darker, a bit fatter than the 82z, but I ended up getting the Custom because it fit my playing a bit better.

Plus, there was a $1600 price difference.

·
830 Posts
HenryN said:

Thanks for the clarification Henry! I had assumed (apparently wrongly) that the tenor specs would be basically the same as alto specs. Sorry about that! Maybe I should look up my "facts" a little more carefully before I state them :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I'll go for the 82ZU and hope for the best, however......came across a Selmer SBA 1949 which someone is selling on the net, serial 38766 original lacquer and matching neck serial, original case broken zip.

Looks like it's in excellent shape going by the photos. Another one to consider? Still can't inspect or try it as it's in the U.S. He says he has authorized MoneyBookers to do the deal plus ship it and he will include shipping and insurance all for $2940 :shock: , never heard of MoneyBookers not sure about all this but it's very tempting, another difficult decision:D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts
Regarding the SBA - that's too good a deal to believe. It's either a trashed horn or someone's looking to take advantage of you. People selling horns on the net have an easy enough opportunity to know the market value of a horn.

Regarding living on an island - that's a good reason to buy a horn that has a protective finish (lacquer or silverplate).

And don't get in a knot over a high F# either - there are a great many more people that believe it doesn't make a difference (other than being a useful key if you need it).

·
SOTW Administrator
26,205 Posts
Dr G said:
Regarding living on an island - that's a good reason to buy a horn that has a protective finish (lacquer or silverplate).
I also live on an island, and I would definitely stay away from bare brass. The unlacquered portions of my mkVI have definitely caused me stress. I 'm seriously thinking about having it gold plated.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes Dr G, I'm staying away from it as tempting as it may be. I'd rather be safe than sorry and go for the local Z.

Lacqured as you and hakukani rightly suggested is the way to go in this case and I'm not realy bothered too much about the high F, it was there as an option that's all. I will go and see how much I can get off the price tomorrow and order it then on to finding a decent mpc to go with it:)

Many thanks to all who replied much appreciated. :thumbrig:

·
799 Posts
I think I'll go for the 82ZU and hope for the best, however......came across a Selmer SBA 1949 which someone is selling on the net, serial 38766 original lacquer and matching neck serial, original case broken zip.

Looks like it's in excellent shape going by the photos. Another one to consider? Still can't inspect or try it as it's in the U.S. He says he has authorized MoneyBookers to do the deal plus ship it and he will include shipping and insurance all for $2940 :shock: , never heard of MoneyBookers not sure about all this but it's very tempting, another difficult decision:D
Sorry to revive an old thread, but this exact horn is listed on Craigslist Dallas for $2540. I guess the bottom has fallen out of the scam market as well.

Edit: anyone reading this, please go here and flag the post:
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/msg/929389633.html
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts