Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UPDATE: I went with the Martin after all. After playing it today with the Brilhart it really came alive, especially with a Fibracell reed that the seller let me try. It's a beautiful horn as well, and though the ergonomics are a bit different from what I'm used to on modern horns, I know I'll get used to it in time. Now I just have to find some way to deal with that vintage smell...

Hello,

I've been looking to buy a new alto for a while now and, being not interested in buying new or renting (obviously), I turned to Craigslist/Facebook Marketplace. I'm only playing alto semi-seriously (for high school) so I don't want to go overboard by any means. I have a few options, one is a YAS-23 that has seen very little use for $475 (tried it out today, sounded good. The owner said he tried to get into playing for a while but was never really able to get consistent with it). Another interesting option I found is a '73 Buescher for $350 which I haven't tried yet, but am hoping to tomorrow. Finally what looks to be a Martin Comittee (with a Brilhart Tonalin, any input on that is appreciated too) for $750. The guy selling the Buescher is very reputable, but I can't speak to that aspect of the Martin.

Any good deals in here? I'm not very knowledgeable about gear so I'm open to any and all opinions on these saxes. Thanks! Below I have included some (not all) pictures of each.

Unfortunately I couldn't find the pictures for the Yamaha but from what I remember it seems to be in great shape, and I can say for certain the listing hasn't gone down.

Buescher:

View attachment 247836

View attachment 247838

View attachment 247852

Martin (plus Brilhart):

View attachment 247844

View attachment 247846

View attachment 247848

View attachment 247850

View attachment 247854

Sorry for the spammy pictures, thank you in advance!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts