Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,578 Posts
I wonder how many of these "x vs x" would sound more different in person rather than recorded...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Both great but I prefer the Trevor James "Signature Custom"! One full horn! Also a big difference when personally playing them both one after the other. Just love the Trevor James better. An amazing horn for sure. :)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback! Disclaimer is that the TJ raw is my personal horn and I absolutely LOVE IT!

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,003 Posts
They sounded the same in that clip. But I also think any differences (if they exist) would be more apparent in person, standing in the same room.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
That's the problem with comparing any kind of horn to another. It depends heavily on HOW it was recorded, in addition to what equipment the user is listening with....an old flip cell phone will sound so dramatically different than a pair of high-end headphones. I know some expect this and compensate but most don't know any better. One method of recording can emphasize the strengths of one horn and the weaknesses of another, when it then sounds quite different in person. Suffice all to say that audio clips tell players absolutely nothing about how a horn will play or sound for THEM.

Great sound, bombshell. You can hear the standard tight core on the Selmer, while the TJ Raw sounded a bit more resonant but less refined.

- Saxaholic

1 - 13 of 13 Posts