Sax on the Web Forum banner

Teaching Techniques - new SOTW article series

6K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  RussDavey 
#1 ·
From Paul Coats:

"It is my pleasure to announce a new Teaching Techniques series by my very good friend, and teacher, David Hollingsworth. The first of this series is up on the main page of Sax On The Web now. This new series will be of great interest to beginning students and teachers.

The first article deals with rhythm and counting.

Again, a big round of applause for David! "

http://www.saxontheweb.net/Hollingsworth/Rhythm.html

#4 ·
I totally agree with the principle concepts present in the article because they have been working for me for over 20 years as well.

I call what he is talking about, teaching students how to "think like a musician" while playing. This came about by actually thinking about and analyzing what my own thought process was, along with discussing the matter among other professional players.

I teach SCALES, TECHNIQUE, and LITERATURE.

SCALES: provides the "right notes"
TECHNIQUE: provides the understanding and application of "rhytym"
LITERATURE: provides development of "artistry"

Like I stated, this system has been working well with empowering students to bring forth the music that is already inside them to full potential. It is especially effective with students that are absolute beginners because they don't bring ineffective methods that have to be undone...

Peace, Cb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.